‘How I Met Your Mother’ Season 9, Episode 21 Recap: Ted Goes on His First Date with Mother
By Keerthi Mohan | March 18, 2014 8:13 PM EST
Monday’s episode of “How I Met Your Mother” was a move forward for Ted in the dating department, as he refrained from histrionics on his first date with the mother.
The episode begins at 8 pm on Wednesday, three days after the wedding and Ted is taking the mother on their first date to Pedro McKinnon, a Scottish-Mexican fusion place.
How I Met Your Mother
But things do not go according to plan, as the loud music drives them out of the restaurant, and the mother sees her ex on the way. This prompts them to cut the date short and Ted offers to walk her back to the apartment.
“Eight years earlier, I probably would have given some embarrassing speech, confessed my love and scared her off because somehow, I just knew this was all going to work out,” the future Ted tells his kids about his first date with their mother.
And luckily for Ted, the mother calls him back and asks him to continue the story about Gary Blauman that Ted was narrating before their date came to an abrupt end.
Blauman used to work with Barney and Marshall at GNB and when he unexpectedly arrives at Robin and Barney’s wedding, several people recounts why they either hate or love Blauman.
Ted hates Blauman because he once hampered Ted’s attempts to pick up a girl and Barney's hatred is based on the fact that Blauman ate his French fries once.
But Lily is on Blauman’s side as he prevented her from getting a Sugar Ray-themed tattoo on her shoulder when she broke up with Marshall. “Gary Blauman saved you from a lifetime of having to look at Sugar Ray every time we do it on your birthday,” Lily tells Marshall in the episode.
Camp Blauman also includes Billy Zabka, who noted that Blauman loved his poem.
But the shocker was delivered by James, who said that it was with Blauman who cheated on his husband. “Because of Gary Blauman, everything that matters to me is gone,” James says.
While the odds were not in Blauman’s favor, he was adamant to attend the wedding and said it was an important occasion to miss.
“You will be shocked, kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That’s why when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it,” the future Ted tells his kids.
At the end of the story, the mother, too, realises that Ted was a keeper because she kisses him.
The episode ended with Ted getting his kids up-to-date of what’s happening in the lives of some of his friends from the past.
Ranjit - The former limo driver now owns a limo company after some of his investments paid off.
Carl - The barman is still very much part of MacLaren’s, and he now has his son to give him a helping hand at the bar
Billy Zabka - Zabka found fame as a poet
Scooter - Lily’s former boyfriend married her doppelganger, the stripper
Zoey - Ted’s former girlfriend is still fighting for good causes.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales