Samsung CEO Denies Premium Galaxy S5 But VC Hints at Premium Smartphones Coming Soon
By Karla Danica Figuerres | March 18, 2014 6:44 PM EST
After the release of Samsung Galaxy S5 at the Mobile World Congress, many are hopeful to see a more premium version of Samsung Galaxy S5. A premium version can be something sporting a 2K QHD display at 2560 x 1440 resolution and a metal chassis. But thus far, there has been little evidence that it exists.
The new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is displayed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona
According to a Korean Web site, Samsung's Vice Chairman suggested although there wouldn't be a premium Galaxy S5 or a Galaxy F, the South Korean tech giant is prepping to launch a premium line of smartphones, which will potentially address the not so stellar performance that the company had lately.
The report noted Samsung CEO J K Shin denied the existence of a premium Galaxy S5. Conversely, the Vice Chairman Kwon Oh-Hyun said the company will be looking at keeping its dominance "in key businesses, such as mobile phones, TVs and memory chips, by rolling out premium lineups," at the Samsung Electronics' annual shareholders meeting.
The VC statement is sure to set the rumors on fire and speculations will sprout online. The question now is that, should we expect a brand new premium Galaxy F series or there will be premium versions of the existing Samsung flagship smartphones? Either way, we expect to see a hefty price tag to come along these premium devices at around the thousand dollar mark-up on the premium series.
Based on the statements mentioned, it is more likely that the Samsung premium line of smartphones could be entirely different and the first smartphone of the series will not be based on Galaxy S5. It is entirely possible to see a complete new design, killer specs and features, high-quality construction and other features that will place the premium series a notch higher than the current Samsung flagship smartphone, Galaxy S5.
A premium line of devices still make sense for the South Korean tech giant even though it only targets a fraction of its consumers. As such, let's just wait for further details on the premium devices to further firm up in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft