World T20 2014 News: Narine Hopes to Produce Some Spin Magic Yet Again as West Indies Look to Defend Title
By Deepak Vikraman | March 18, 2014 6:32 PM EST
If West Indies are to do the double and defend their World T20 title, there is little doubt that Sunil Narine will have to have another special tournament.
While the side from the Caribbean have plenty of match-winners, with big-hitters and all-rounders aplenty, it is Narine, who has the ability to turn the match around with the ball, so important in T20 games.
After playing a starring role in West Indies' World T20 title run a couple of years ago, Narine is again looking forward to making his mark in this year's tournament in Bangladesh.
"It is difficult bowling in T20 cricket especially in the first six overs but at the end of the day, if the captain has belief in you, it's only fitting that you go out there and give it your all," Narine was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo.
"You have to have self-belief. Bowling at [these] guys, they're going to hit the ball out of the ground but you never know, they could mishit one and that can change a game.
"Just knowing the guys have full faith in me gives the motivation and self-belief. I just try to give my best whatever situation I have to bowl in and whatever the team requires, I try to do it.
"As for trying something new, I don't have any plans at the moment. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible."
In sub-continent conditions, spinners are always going to come to the fore, and with the warm-up and first round games witnessing the slower bowlers dominating games, Narine believes bowlers who can turn the cricket ball will play a vital role.
"Spinners will play a key role but I think at the end of the day it will be whole team effort," said Narine, who is ranked as the best T20 bowler at the moment. "I think all of our guys are keen on taking the challenge.
"We have a good bunch of guys going out there and we will give it our all. With [Samuel] Badree in the team and [Krishmar] Santokie, I think that's a good combination. I think it sets the right tone and they tend to always pick up early wickets so it makes it easier on me later in the game."
West Indies suffered a disappointing tour of New Zealand a few months back, but did well enough in the limited-overs series against England, particularly the T20Is, to suggest they will be a force to reckon with yet again in the World Cup for the shortest format of the game.
"It's a tough group but once you play good cricket, anything is possible," he added. "There are a lot of spinners and it's good for the cricket to see that every team has a world class spinner. It's better for the game.
"We have a lot of experience in our team and we know exactly what we have to do. Once we go out there and do the basics right, hopefully we'll come out on top."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories