World T20 2014 News: Narine Hopes to Produce Some Spin Magic Yet Again as West Indies Look to Defend Title
By Deepak Vikraman | March 18, 2014 6:32 PM EST
If West Indies are to do the double and defend their World T20 title, there is little doubt that Sunil Narine will have to have another special tournament.
While the side from the Caribbean have plenty of match-winners, with big-hitters and all-rounders aplenty, it is Narine, who has the ability to turn the match around with the ball, so important in T20 games.
After playing a starring role in West Indies' World T20 title run a couple of years ago, Narine is again looking forward to making his mark in this year's tournament in Bangladesh.
"It is difficult bowling in T20 cricket especially in the first six overs but at the end of the day, if the captain has belief in you, it's only fitting that you go out there and give it your all," Narine was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo.
"You have to have self-belief. Bowling at [these] guys, they're going to hit the ball out of the ground but you never know, they could mishit one and that can change a game.
"Just knowing the guys have full faith in me gives the motivation and self-belief. I just try to give my best whatever situation I have to bowl in and whatever the team requires, I try to do it.
"As for trying something new, I don't have any plans at the moment. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible."
In sub-continent conditions, spinners are always going to come to the fore, and with the warm-up and first round games witnessing the slower bowlers dominating games, Narine believes bowlers who can turn the cricket ball will play a vital role.
"Spinners will play a key role but I think at the end of the day it will be whole team effort," said Narine, who is ranked as the best T20 bowler at the moment. "I think all of our guys are keen on taking the challenge.
"We have a good bunch of guys going out there and we will give it our all. With [Samuel] Badree in the team and [Krishmar] Santokie, I think that's a good combination. I think it sets the right tone and they tend to always pick up early wickets so it makes it easier on me later in the game."
West Indies suffered a disappointing tour of New Zealand a few months back, but did well enough in the limited-overs series against England, particularly the T20Is, to suggest they will be a force to reckon with yet again in the World Cup for the shortest format of the game.
"It's a tough group but once you play good cricket, anything is possible," he added. "There are a lot of spinners and it's good for the cricket to see that every team has a world class spinner. It's better for the game.
"We have a lot of experience in our team and we know exactly what we have to do. Once we go out there and do the basics right, hopefully we'll come out on top."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports