World T20 2014 News: Narine Hopes to Produce Some Spin Magic Yet Again as West Indies Look to Defend Title
By Deepak Vikraman | March 18, 2014 6:32 PM EST
If West Indies are to do the double and defend their World T20 title, there is little doubt that Sunil Narine will have to have another special tournament.
While the side from the Caribbean have plenty of match-winners, with big-hitters and all-rounders aplenty, it is Narine, who has the ability to turn the match around with the ball, so important in T20 games.
After playing a starring role in West Indies' World T20 title run a couple of years ago, Narine is again looking forward to making his mark in this year's tournament in Bangladesh.
"It is difficult bowling in T20 cricket especially in the first six overs but at the end of the day, if the captain has belief in you, it's only fitting that you go out there and give it your all," Narine was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo.
"You have to have self-belief. Bowling at [these] guys, they're going to hit the ball out of the ground but you never know, they could mishit one and that can change a game.
"Just knowing the guys have full faith in me gives the motivation and self-belief. I just try to give my best whatever situation I have to bowl in and whatever the team requires, I try to do it.
"As for trying something new, I don't have any plans at the moment. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible."
In sub-continent conditions, spinners are always going to come to the fore, and with the warm-up and first round games witnessing the slower bowlers dominating games, Narine believes bowlers who can turn the cricket ball will play a vital role.
"Spinners will play a key role but I think at the end of the day it will be whole team effort," said Narine, who is ranked as the best T20 bowler at the moment. "I think all of our guys are keen on taking the challenge.
"We have a good bunch of guys going out there and we will give it our all. With [Samuel] Badree in the team and [Krishmar] Santokie, I think that's a good combination. I think it sets the right tone and they tend to always pick up early wickets so it makes it easier on me later in the game."
West Indies suffered a disappointing tour of New Zealand a few months back, but did well enough in the limited-overs series against England, particularly the T20Is, to suggest they will be a force to reckon with yet again in the World Cup for the shortest format of the game.
"It's a tough group but once you play good cricket, anything is possible," he added. "There are a lot of spinners and it's good for the cricket to see that every team has a world class spinner. It's better for the game.
"We have a lot of experience in our team and we know exactly what we have to do. Once we go out there and do the basics right, hopefully we'll come out on top."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build