Qatar World Cup 2022: Former FIFA Vice-President Jack Warner Received Nearly $2 Million: Report
By Shruthi SU | March 18, 2014 6:04 PM EST
Awarding Qatar the hosting rights for the FIFA World Cup 2022 was considered a very controversial decision especially being a nation with minimal football history and the unbearable summer heat forcing FIFA's hand to probably hold the event in winter rather than summer as is usually the case. Accusations continued to grow on Monday, as a report in an English newspaper disclosed that Jack Warner received a huge amount of $1.2 million from a Qatari company linked to the hosts bidding panel.
The company accused is said to have been headed by former Asian Football Confederation president (banned for "conflicts of interest") Mohamed Bin Hammam and the amount was passed to Warner and his family members according to an exclusive report in the Daily Telegraph. Apart from the $1.2 million, Warner's son also reportedly received $750,000 while a further $400,000 went into the pockets of one of his employees.The documents produced state the money was billed under "professional services provided over the period 2005-2010".
The Trinidadian has served as an executive member for 28 years and has been involved in corruption enquiries before. The amount now paid is said to have reached Warner and his sons within two weeks after Qatar was declared the 2022 hosts. Warner was part of the FIFA 22-man executive committee that awarded Russia the 2018 World Cup and Qatar the 2022 event.
After the revelations, the Qatar 2022 World Cup organising committee tried to distance themselves from the blame, denying the corruption charges.
"The 2022 Bid Committee strictly adhered to Fifa's bidding regulations in compliance with their code of ethics," the spokesperson said. "The Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy and the individuals involved in the 2022 Bid Committee are unaware of any allegations surrounding business dealings between private individuals."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2