NBA News: Injury-Prone Kyrie Irving Could Be Out for the Season with Biceps Strain
By James Patrick Quizon | March 18, 2014 5:00 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers will have to make their playoff push without their franchise player Kyrie Irving, who suffered a biceps strain that will cause him to miss at least two weeks.
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers at New York Knicks
The 21-year-old rising star suffered the injury during the first half of their game versus the Los Angeles Clippers last Sunday. He underwent an MRI the next day and it revealed “a strain in the long head tendon” of the biceps, according to a statement from the Cavaliers.
The team also said that the tendon’s response will determine the most appropriate course of treatment and the star will have to be shut down for the next two weeks.
The Cavaliers (26-41) are five games back off the Atlanta Hawks (30-35) for the eighth and final playoff spot in the weak Eastern Conference. The New York Knicks are ahead of them in the standings as well at ninth place with a 27-40 win-loss card.
The more troubling fact for the Cleveland front office and fans is that Irving has now missed considerable time due to injuries in his first three years in the league prompting critics to peg him as “injury-prone”.
History is not on Irving’s side. He has yet to complete a full NBA grind playing only 51 of 66, 59 of 82 and 64 of 82 games the last three seasons.
The list keeps piling up for the young star as various injuries include a fractured jaw, broken finger, sprained shoulder, broken nose, concussion and now, strained biceps.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools