NBA News: Injury-Prone Kyrie Irving Could Be Out for the Season with Biceps Strain
By James Patrick Quizon | March 18, 2014 5:00 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers will have to make their playoff push without their franchise player Kyrie Irving, who suffered a biceps strain that will cause him to miss at least two weeks.
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers at New York Knicks
The 21-year-old rising star suffered the injury during the first half of their game versus the Los Angeles Clippers last Sunday. He underwent an MRI the next day and it revealed “a strain in the long head tendon” of the biceps, according to a statement from the Cavaliers.
The team also said that the tendon’s response will determine the most appropriate course of treatment and the star will have to be shut down for the next two weeks.
The Cavaliers (26-41) are five games back off the Atlanta Hawks (30-35) for the eighth and final playoff spot in the weak Eastern Conference. The New York Knicks are ahead of them in the standings as well at ninth place with a 27-40 win-loss card.
The more troubling fact for the Cleveland front office and fans is that Irving has now missed considerable time due to injuries in his first three years in the league prompting critics to peg him as “injury-prone”.
History is not on Irving’s side. He has yet to complete a full NBA grind playing only 51 of 66, 59 of 82 and 64 of 82 games the last three seasons.
The list keeps piling up for the young star as various injuries include a fractured jaw, broken finger, sprained shoulder, broken nose, concussion and now, strained biceps.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown