Liverpool Transfer News: Steven Gerrard Implores Owners to Lock Brendan Rodgers to a New Contract
By Deepak Vikraman | March 18, 2014 4:03 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers is having one of those seasons, where everything he does, touches, passes by and talks to turns to gold. Liverpool are having a wonderfully resurgent season under the Northern Irishman, keeping themselves well in contention for their first title in 24 years, and skipper Steven Gerrard feels the club's success is all down to the manager.
Rodgers, though, will only have a little over a year remaining on his current contract with the club, and Gerrard feels the sooner the owners (FSG) sign the former Swansea and Reading manager up, the better.
"We are absolutely delighted he is here and I just hope there is a lot of movement in Boston [the home of Liverpool's American owners] now as we speak because they have got to get him signed up as soon as possible," Gerrard said.
"When players are in this situation with a year to go you want to keep hold of them so desperately, the club react really quickly and get it sorted, and for me I think he deserves a very long contract here and I think he is perfect for this club."
Rodgers endured a difficult first six months at the job after taking over in the summer of 2012, but has gone from strength to strength since the beginning of last year, with the dominating 3-0 win over Manchester United at Old Trafford only emphasising the fact.
The manager has not been shy of tinkering with formations to nullify their opponents' style, with a diamond formation against United in midfield working wonders as Liverpool ran amok at Old Trafford.
"He has been a revelation," Gerrard added. "He keeps tinkering and tweaking formations, making little changes to personnel and pulls it off. He is a young coach who has earned the right to become Liverpool manager and from week to week he is improving and he has been an absolute breath of fresh air to this club.
"I never judge a player, a manager or a member of coaching staff before I have actually met them face-to-face and when you see them day to day I have been absolutely blown away by the sessions, by his maturity in the job.
"I am learning off him every day. When you become a more experienced player you look to see how the manager does -- if he does the same things. He has been fantastic for myself and I am sure the [other] players will echo what I am saying."
While matters on the pitch have improved considerably, Rodgers has also shown his pretty impressive man-management skills, especially when he handled the Luis Suarez situation remarkably, after the Uruguayan had asked for a move away last summer.
The likes of Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling and Daniel Sturridge have also improved considerably under his tutelage, and Gerrard paid tribute to the manner in which Rodgers inspires his players.
"He manages every single player," the Liverpool and England captain said. "He knows we have different characters in the dressing room. His one-on-one management is the best I have known. He makes you go out on to the pitch feeling a million dollars, full of confidence and belief.
"When you play for Liverpool you have to accept pressure, take it on the chin and perform, but when you have a manager who is making you feel good and who is not scared of giving you a good one-to-one telling off as well he has the perfect ingredients."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date