Thunderbirds Set New Records
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 18, 2014 3:53 PM EST
In a nail-biting match, Adelaide Thunderbirds ousted NSW Swifts by 50-49 in the ANZ Championship on Monday night. With this win, the Thunderbirds also set a new record for 16 consecutive win, since round 3 in 2013.
The Netball SA stadium was packed to see this action as the home side again rules with much fanfare.
With the lead of seven goals midway through the second term, the Thunderbirds made some crucial mistake handling the ball in front of the strong defence set by the Swifts. This led the visitors to turn back to the game, scoring 31-all at halftime.
As the match intensifies, the score stood at 49-all, just before two minutes to finish.
However, at the last minute, the final break came when Erin Bell of Thunderbirds scored the last goal, taking away the match from the visitors.
The coach of Thunderbirds, Jane Woodlands-Thompson, was ecstatic after the win and praised the goalkeeper Samantha Poolman for some crucial save and two rebounds.
Woodlands-Thompson later said, "I think Shimmo was getting pushed off the ball a little bit by Thwaites and we thought Poolan was a good change up for that."
"She was absolutely outstanding tonight, and when she came on we went five goals in front."
"She did exactly what we needed her to do and it was a very good physical match up."
"It's not something we focused on exclusively because that would've been a distraction, but it's a remarkable achievement by the players and staff that have represented our club over the past two seasons."
Swifts coach Rob Wright, who was disappointed with the loss, called the Thunderbirds as "masters of close wins." He further said, "Full credit to the Thunderbirds ... They were able to do it again tonight..."
"It was a brave effort, but like all coaches I'm disappointed to lose."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan