Thunderbirds Set New Records
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 18, 2014 3:53 PM EST
In a nail-biting match, Adelaide Thunderbirds ousted NSW Swifts by 50-49 in the ANZ Championship on Monday night. With this win, the Thunderbirds also set a new record for 16 consecutive win, since round 3 in 2013.
The Netball SA stadium was packed to see this action as the home side again rules with much fanfare.
With the lead of seven goals midway through the second term, the Thunderbirds made some crucial mistake handling the ball in front of the strong defence set by the Swifts. This led the visitors to turn back to the game, scoring 31-all at halftime.
As the match intensifies, the score stood at 49-all, just before two minutes to finish.
However, at the last minute, the final break came when Erin Bell of Thunderbirds scored the last goal, taking away the match from the visitors.
The coach of Thunderbirds, Jane Woodlands-Thompson, was ecstatic after the win and praised the goalkeeper Samantha Poolman for some crucial save and two rebounds.
Woodlands-Thompson later said, "I think Shimmo was getting pushed off the ball a little bit by Thwaites and we thought Poolan was a good change up for that."
"She was absolutely outstanding tonight, and when she came on we went five goals in front."
"She did exactly what we needed her to do and it was a very good physical match up."
"It's not something we focused on exclusively because that would've been a distraction, but it's a remarkable achievement by the players and staff that have represented our club over the past two seasons."
Swifts coach Rob Wright, who was disappointed with the loss, called the Thunderbirds as "masters of close wins." He further said, "Full credit to the Thunderbirds ... They were able to do it again tonight..."
"It was a brave effort, but like all coaches I'm disappointed to lose."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown