Thunderbirds Set New Records
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 18, 2014 3:53 PM EST
In a nail-biting match, Adelaide Thunderbirds ousted NSW Swifts by 50-49 in the ANZ Championship on Monday night. With this win, the Thunderbirds also set a new record for 16 consecutive win, since round 3 in 2013.
The Netball SA stadium was packed to see this action as the home side again rules with much fanfare.
With the lead of seven goals midway through the second term, the Thunderbirds made some crucial mistake handling the ball in front of the strong defence set by the Swifts. This led the visitors to turn back to the game, scoring 31-all at halftime.
As the match intensifies, the score stood at 49-all, just before two minutes to finish.
However, at the last minute, the final break came when Erin Bell of Thunderbirds scored the last goal, taking away the match from the visitors.
The coach of Thunderbirds, Jane Woodlands-Thompson, was ecstatic after the win and praised the goalkeeper Samantha Poolman for some crucial save and two rebounds.
Woodlands-Thompson later said, "I think Shimmo was getting pushed off the ball a little bit by Thwaites and we thought Poolan was a good change up for that."
"She was absolutely outstanding tonight, and when she came on we went five goals in front."
"She did exactly what we needed her to do and it was a very good physical match up."
"It's not something we focused on exclusively because that would've been a distraction, but it's a remarkable achievement by the players and staff that have represented our club over the past two seasons."
Swifts coach Rob Wright, who was disappointed with the loss, called the Thunderbirds as "masters of close wins." He further said, "Full credit to the Thunderbirds ... They were able to do it again tonight..."
"It was a brave effort, but like all coaches I'm disappointed to lose."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand