Horrified Ecclestone for Lack of Noise
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 18, 2014 2:12 PM EST
According to race organizers, Formula One mogul, Bernie Ecclestone was horrified having heard no noise at the Australian Grand Prix.
Red Bull Formula One driver Mark Webber of Australia drives during the qualifying session of the Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix at the Yas Marina circuit on Yas Island, November 2, 2013.
The engines used in races have considerably got superior with the course of time. The Turbo-charged V6 engine replaced V8 engine at Alberta Park in Melbourne last weekend.
This change has made a considerable impact on the noise of the F1 cars. The new engine is designed to suppress the noise instead of V8 that used to produce lot of noise.
The reduction of sound also irked Australian Grand Prix chairman, Ron Walker. He claimed that the contract laid to host the event has not been followed with the reduction of noise level. He had further discussed this issue with chief executive Ecclestone and the F1 president.
Walker recently said in the The Age newspaper, "I was absolutely delighted with the whole weekend, but I was not too happy with the sound".
"We are resolving that with Bernie. It's clearly in breach of our contract. I was talking to him last night (Sunday) and it's not what we paid for. It's going to change."
"'He's horrified about it. It will be an issue for all promoters all round the world."
"We (the Grand Prix Corporation) are an entertainment company and we have to entertain the public."
"Everybody was talking about it. When you take the excitement away, you have trouble selling tickets. You have to create demand and part of that demand is people liking the noise of the race cars."
The Formula One races are known for their monstrous noise and that definitely creates an impact to the spectators. Lovers of F1 also seem somehow disappointed, as the lack of engine noise doesn't really create an impression on the circuit.
However, it will be interesting to watch what comes next with the noise factor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown