And It’s Over! Twitch Plays Pokemon Crystal Beaten, Emerald Next
By Gel Galang | March 18, 2014 2:10 PM EST
After 13 days. 2 hours and 2 minutes, Twitch Plays Pokemon has finally beaten Red and completed Crystal. It seems like the followers of the ongoing Internet Pokemon trend has managed to go through the endeavor of thousands of players trying to control one hero via a chat and using anarchy and democracy modes in varying degrees and frequencies.
For those who have been avidly following the Twitch Plays Pokemon stream over here, or following the Live Updates via the moderated Google Docs, you should know by now how the system works.
As a recap of what had happened during the course of Twitch Plays Pokemon Crystal, the players managed to win once against Pokemon Trainer Red even after having lost seven times. A total of 16 badges were collected, with the Elite Four and Champion Lance having been defeated at some point.
What's even more impressive is the fact that, after the Bloody Sunday and various other PC releases into the wild, Twitch Plays Pokemon Crystal only managed to keep released Pokemons at four.
The deadline is actually an entire two days shorter than the first run, wherein Twitch Plays Pokemon Red managed to finish in 16 days, 7 hours, and 45 minutes in total.
And Joystiq has spotted via the chat that the anonymous creator of the game has previously announced that if the Pokemon Red deadline was not topped by a shorter run for Twitch Plays Pokemon Crystal in defeating Red, there will be no Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald.
Whether it's the need to accept the challenge and beat it or just the great democracy at work, the players have managed to beat this and move on to the next generation.
Moving on to Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald
Lo and behold, the players had managed to man up to the challenge, face it head on, and beat it to the punch, as the countdown timer has finally managed to move on to Pokemon Emerald, which will be starting on March 21, 9:00 p.m. EST.
For now, the players are being treated to a number of random games being played on the stream. The moderators are still keeping a close watch at the participants, as various games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, GTA Advance, Lunar Legend. Metal Gear Ghost Babel, Sonic Advance and Catz are some of the titles that the stream is playing, according to the Live Reddit Updates.
It will be a long wait until Twitch Plays Pokemon finally moves to Hoenn with Pokemon Emerald, but it would be interesting to see where the third run will take the Internet social experiment.
After all, Twitch Plays Pokemon Red gave birth to the new religion and the Helix Fossil, while Crystal managed to split the players into the democracy and anarchy to create what could be a well-managed mess and tug of war for power. What other new adventures will take place in Hoenn this time? More importantly, will the magic and mayhem seen in Twitch Plays Pokemon Red return?
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Android M OS Version Spotted At AOSP Before Android 5.0 L's Official Release Date
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Samsung Galaxy Alpha Will Be Available With AT&T From Sept 26, Unlocked Edition Priced At $612.99
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Smartwatches, Chunky Watches, Other Accessories And Tattoos
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?