Tennis World No. 1 Rafael Nadal to Play Poker Against Fans on Facebook
By James Patrick Quizon | March 18, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Tennis fans and poker enthusiasts will have a chance to yet again, serve an ace or two against Rafael Nadal.
The biggest online poker site in the world, PokerStars announced on Monday that the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World No. 1 will be playing poker against fans in the “Rafa vs. The World” play money game on the PokerStarsPlay Facebook App on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 from 8:30 to 9:30 pm AEDT.
Rafael Nadal of Spain bites his trophy after winning against Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine at the 2014 Rio Open men's final tennis match in Rio de Janeiro
The exclusive one-hour, free-to-play game will give the fans the opportunity to check-raise Nadal on the virtual felt as well as popular pro Daniel Negreanu, who will also give live commentary and advise during the vide webcast of the event.
“One of the great things about playing poker is that there are so many opportunities to play against different people, especially in the online environment,” stated Nadal in the PokerStars press release. “I’m a competitive person, so obviously I want to win, but I think it will be great fun too.”
This is the second time that the Spaniard will be playing poker against his fans. In February 2014, over 1,000 Spanish online poker players took turns in going head-to-head against one of the world’s best players today.
“Rafa’s poker knowledge and skill level has improved dramatically since he started learning the game. I’m looking forward to seeing if he can make this a hat-trick of wins, having already taken down the charity tournament at EPT Prague and beating players from across Spain,” shared Negreanu.
A prize will be donated to Care International or CARE is a global humanitarian federation of 14 member organizations which is among the leaders in fighting global poverty.
Viewers at home and online can watch the “Rafa vs. The World” poker event via PokerStars.tv, PokerStars Facebook App, and the PokerStars YouTube channel.
Nadal is known for his baseline winners on the tennis court, can he earn off aces on the virtual felt?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko