Tennis World No. 1 Rafael Nadal to Play Poker Against Fans on Facebook
By James Patrick Quizon | March 18, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Tennis fans and poker enthusiasts will have a chance to yet again, serve an ace or two against Rafael Nadal.
The biggest online poker site in the world, PokerStars announced on Monday that the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World No. 1 will be playing poker against fans in the “Rafa vs. The World” play money game on the PokerStarsPlay Facebook App on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 from 8:30 to 9:30 pm AEDT.
Rafael Nadal of Spain bites his trophy after winning against Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine at the 2014 Rio Open men's final tennis match in Rio de Janeiro
The exclusive one-hour, free-to-play game will give the fans the opportunity to check-raise Nadal on the virtual felt as well as popular pro Daniel Negreanu, who will also give live commentary and advise during the vide webcast of the event.
“One of the great things about playing poker is that there are so many opportunities to play against different people, especially in the online environment,” stated Nadal in the PokerStars press release. “I’m a competitive person, so obviously I want to win, but I think it will be great fun too.”
This is the second time that the Spaniard will be playing poker against his fans. In February 2014, over 1,000 Spanish online poker players took turns in going head-to-head against one of the world’s best players today.
“Rafa’s poker knowledge and skill level has improved dramatically since he started learning the game. I’m looking forward to seeing if he can make this a hat-trick of wins, having already taken down the charity tournament at EPT Prague and beating players from across Spain,” shared Negreanu.
A prize will be donated to Care International or CARE is a global humanitarian federation of 14 member organizations which is among the leaders in fighting global poverty.
Viewers at home and online can watch the “Rafa vs. The World” poker event via PokerStars.tv, PokerStars Facebook App, and the PokerStars YouTube channel.
Nadal is known for his baseline winners on the tennis court, can he earn off aces on the virtual felt?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows