Tennis World No. 1 Rafael Nadal to Play Poker Against Fans on Facebook
By James Patrick Quizon | March 18, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Tennis fans and poker enthusiasts will have a chance to yet again, serve an ace or two against Rafael Nadal.
The biggest online poker site in the world, PokerStars announced on Monday that the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World No. 1 will be playing poker against fans in the “Rafa vs. The World” play money game on the PokerStarsPlay Facebook App on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 from 8:30 to 9:30 pm AEDT.
Rafael Nadal of Spain bites his trophy after winning against Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine at the 2014 Rio Open men's final tennis match in Rio de Janeiro
The exclusive one-hour, free-to-play game will give the fans the opportunity to check-raise Nadal on the virtual felt as well as popular pro Daniel Negreanu, who will also give live commentary and advise during the vide webcast of the event.
“One of the great things about playing poker is that there are so many opportunities to play against different people, especially in the online environment,” stated Nadal in the PokerStars press release. “I’m a competitive person, so obviously I want to win, but I think it will be great fun too.”
This is the second time that the Spaniard will be playing poker against his fans. In February 2014, over 1,000 Spanish online poker players took turns in going head-to-head against one of the world’s best players today.
“Rafa’s poker knowledge and skill level has improved dramatically since he started learning the game. I’m looking forward to seeing if he can make this a hat-trick of wins, having already taken down the charity tournament at EPT Prague and beating players from across Spain,” shared Negreanu.
A prize will be donated to Care International or CARE is a global humanitarian federation of 14 member organizations which is among the leaders in fighting global poverty.
Viewers at home and online can watch the “Rafa vs. The World” poker event via PokerStars.tv, PokerStars Facebook App, and the PokerStars YouTube channel.
Nadal is known for his baseline winners on the tennis court, can he earn off aces on the virtual felt?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools