Samsung Galaxy S5 Gets Another Potential Delay, Dispelled Medical Device Rumours and the UK-Exclusive Gold Version
By Gel Galang | March 18, 2014 12:21 PM EST
Issues of the Samsung Galaxy S5 release date delay have already popped up when news of a fire over at the supplier plant happened. Now, another potential delay is threatening the release date of Samsung's 2014 flagship handset, this time in the form of supplier problems with its 16-MP ISOCELL camera.
The new Samsung Galaxy S5 camera is said to feature a six-element lens in it, where the slim camera module will be fitted in. Phone Arena is now reporting that there are now issues with the way the mold for the complex optics is being made.
Samsung is responsible for the creation of the mold, though they are then sent to lens suppliers who are in charge of applying injection technology to ensure that precision is achieved. Now reports are stating that a delay in the orders and assembly of the lens are occurring, with only 20 to 30 per cent of the production being met.
Given the April 11 worldwide release date for the Samsung Galaxy S5, the Korean company would need to ramp up the production, while also ensuring that the quality of the handsets are not compromised.
Not a Medical Device, Release Date Still On
Aside from the issues with the Samsung Galaxy S5's camera supply, it almost had a run-in with the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety in South Korea. With its new heart rate sensor being one of the touted health additions, it seems like the Samsung Galaxy S5 almost had the danger of being re-classified as a medical device, hence being delayed for release.
According to Digital Trends, this potential source of delay was avoided because it seems that the "wait and see" decision of the Ministry finally reached a conclusion, as the Samsung Galaxy S5 was decided to not meet the requirements of a medical device.
The ruling was based on Korean law that states devices that measure organ functions were subject to the same regulations as those of medical instruments, but Samsung was able to classify the Samsung Galaxy S5, as well as the Gear Fit, to be devices that are merely for fitness, and not medical, purposes.
Vodafone UK Gets Rights to Gold Samsung Galaxy S5
The Samsung Galaxy S5 has been slated to release four colours: gold, black, white, and blue. But it seems that Vodafone UK was able to secure the rights to carrying the gold edition.
CNet reports that Vodafone will be the only carrier to bring in the gold version for an entire month, starting when UK retailers open their pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy S5 come March 28. Vodafone will also be carrying the other three colours.
What do you think of the gold version of the Samsung Galaxy S5? Is it worth going with Vodafone to land yourself this edition? Or would you prefer the classic colours?
Read more gaming and tech news here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop