Samsung Galaxy S5 Gets Another Potential Delay, Dispelled Medical Device Rumours and the UK-Exclusive Gold Version
By Gel Galang | March 18, 2014 12:21 PM EST
Issues of the Samsung Galaxy S5 release date delay have already popped up when news of a fire over at the supplier plant happened. Now, another potential delay is threatening the release date of Samsung's 2014 flagship handset, this time in the form of supplier problems with its 16-MP ISOCELL camera.
The new Samsung Galaxy S5 camera is said to feature a six-element lens in it, where the slim camera module will be fitted in. Phone Arena is now reporting that there are now issues with the way the mold for the complex optics is being made.
Samsung is responsible for the creation of the mold, though they are then sent to lens suppliers who are in charge of applying injection technology to ensure that precision is achieved. Now reports are stating that a delay in the orders and assembly of the lens are occurring, with only 20 to 30 per cent of the production being met.
Given the April 11 worldwide release date for the Samsung Galaxy S5, the Korean company would need to ramp up the production, while also ensuring that the quality of the handsets are not compromised.
Not a Medical Device, Release Date Still On
Aside from the issues with the Samsung Galaxy S5's camera supply, it almost had a run-in with the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety in South Korea. With its new heart rate sensor being one of the touted health additions, it seems like the Samsung Galaxy S5 almost had the danger of being re-classified as a medical device, hence being delayed for release.
According to Digital Trends, this potential source of delay was avoided because it seems that the "wait and see" decision of the Ministry finally reached a conclusion, as the Samsung Galaxy S5 was decided to not meet the requirements of a medical device.
The ruling was based on Korean law that states devices that measure organ functions were subject to the same regulations as those of medical instruments, but Samsung was able to classify the Samsung Galaxy S5, as well as the Gear Fit, to be devices that are merely for fitness, and not medical, purposes.
Vodafone UK Gets Rights to Gold Samsung Galaxy S5
The Samsung Galaxy S5 has been slated to release four colours: gold, black, white, and blue. But it seems that Vodafone UK was able to secure the rights to carrying the gold edition.
CNet reports that Vodafone will be the only carrier to bring in the gold version for an entire month, starting when UK retailers open their pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy S5 come March 28. Vodafone will also be carrying the other three colours.
What do you think of the gold version of the Samsung Galaxy S5? Is it worth going with Vodafone to land yourself this edition? Or would you prefer the classic colours?
Read more gaming and tech news here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Release Date, Features Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Play Set
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]