Lupita Nyong'o 'Star Wars: Episode VII:' Oscar Winner to Cast as Female Lead Sith?
By Vanessa Francisco | March 18, 2014 11:53 AM EST
"12 Years a Slave" star Lupita Nyong-o won an Oscar award as best supporting actress in March and to add to that, she also reportedly met with J.J. Abrams before the Academy Awards, surfacing her connection to Star Wars Episode VII possibly as a descendant of Obi-Wan Kenobi which has previously been described as a non-Caucasian role. It still remains unclear which role she could take because of the secrecy but there are also a search for two characters in their twenties, male and female.
Abrams is still meeting with actors for some of his leads that remain uncast. Adam Driver is said to be in final negotiations to play an undisclosed villain in the movie while Jesse Plemons, John Boyega and Ed Speleers are also in the mix. "Star Wars Episode VII" is set to cast veterans Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. Other stars rumoured for parts in the movie include Gary Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alex Pettyfer, Michael Fassbender, Michael B. Jordan and Saoirse Ronan.
There are speculations that Lupita will land a role as Sith in a skin-tight futuristic suit with a light saber. It also appears that fans want Lupita and Benedict Cumberbatch to play Sith Lord and Lady like Macbeth and Lady Macbeth of Star Wars.
After her 12-Years win, everyone is excited to know which steps she would take to firm up her film career that already started off big. Nyong-o graduated from Yale University School of Drama and had a role in an MTV series called "Shuga" from 2009 to 2012. She had a small role in the movie "Non-Stop" with Julianne Moore and Liam Neeson. In the following weeks, she contended for a high profile role as Tiger Lily in Warner Bro.'s "Pan." She might also land a role in "The Whole Truth," a courtroom drama series starring Daniel Craig.
When TMZ asked people close to Nyong-o about the Star Wars role rumours, they only said, "We are not allowed to talk about that." The 31-year-old actress delivered an emotional speech upon accepting the Academy award in February saying, "No matter where you are from, your dreams are valid."
"Star Wars Episode VII" is set to release on Dec. 18, 2015. It is expected that movie production will start in the spring in Los Angeles and the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown