Lupita Nyong'o 'Star Wars: Episode VII:' Oscar Winner to Cast as Female Lead Sith?
By Vanessa Francisco | March 18, 2014 11:53 AM EST
"12 Years a Slave" star Lupita Nyong-o won an Oscar award as best supporting actress in March and to add to that, she also reportedly met with J.J. Abrams before the Academy Awards, surfacing her connection to Star Wars Episode VII possibly as a descendant of Obi-Wan Kenobi which has previously been described as a non-Caucasian role. It still remains unclear which role she could take because of the secrecy but there are also a search for two characters in their twenties, male and female.
Abrams is still meeting with actors for some of his leads that remain uncast. Adam Driver is said to be in final negotiations to play an undisclosed villain in the movie while Jesse Plemons, John Boyega and Ed Speleers are also in the mix. "Star Wars Episode VII" is set to cast veterans Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. Other stars rumoured for parts in the movie include Gary Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alex Pettyfer, Michael Fassbender, Michael B. Jordan and Saoirse Ronan.
There are speculations that Lupita will land a role as Sith in a skin-tight futuristic suit with a light saber. It also appears that fans want Lupita and Benedict Cumberbatch to play Sith Lord and Lady like Macbeth and Lady Macbeth of Star Wars.
After her 12-Years win, everyone is excited to know which steps she would take to firm up her film career that already started off big. Nyong-o graduated from Yale University School of Drama and had a role in an MTV series called "Shuga" from 2009 to 2012. She had a small role in the movie "Non-Stop" with Julianne Moore and Liam Neeson. In the following weeks, she contended for a high profile role as Tiger Lily in Warner Bro.'s "Pan." She might also land a role in "The Whole Truth," a courtroom drama series starring Daniel Craig.
When TMZ asked people close to Nyong-o about the Star Wars role rumours, they only said, "We are not allowed to talk about that." The 31-year-old actress delivered an emotional speech upon accepting the Academy award in February saying, "No matter where you are from, your dreams are valid."
"Star Wars Episode VII" is set to release on Dec. 18, 2015. It is expected that movie production will start in the spring in Los Angeles and the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet