Lupita Nyong'o 'Star Wars: Episode VII:' Oscar Winner to Cast as Female Lead Sith?
By Vanessa Francisco | March 18, 2014 11:53 AM EST
"12 Years a Slave" star Lupita Nyong-o won an Oscar award as best supporting actress in March and to add to that, she also reportedly met with J.J. Abrams before the Academy Awards, surfacing her connection to Star Wars Episode VII possibly as a descendant of Obi-Wan Kenobi which has previously been described as a non-Caucasian role. It still remains unclear which role she could take because of the secrecy but there are also a search for two characters in their twenties, male and female.
Abrams is still meeting with actors for some of his leads that remain uncast. Adam Driver is said to be in final negotiations to play an undisclosed villain in the movie while Jesse Plemons, John Boyega and Ed Speleers are also in the mix. "Star Wars Episode VII" is set to cast veterans Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. Other stars rumoured for parts in the movie include Gary Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alex Pettyfer, Michael Fassbender, Michael B. Jordan and Saoirse Ronan.
There are speculations that Lupita will land a role as Sith in a skin-tight futuristic suit with a light saber. It also appears that fans want Lupita and Benedict Cumberbatch to play Sith Lord and Lady like Macbeth and Lady Macbeth of Star Wars.
After her 12-Years win, everyone is excited to know which steps she would take to firm up her film career that already started off big. Nyong-o graduated from Yale University School of Drama and had a role in an MTV series called "Shuga" from 2009 to 2012. She had a small role in the movie "Non-Stop" with Julianne Moore and Liam Neeson. In the following weeks, she contended for a high profile role as Tiger Lily in Warner Bro.'s "Pan." She might also land a role in "The Whole Truth," a courtroom drama series starring Daniel Craig.
When TMZ asked people close to Nyong-o about the Star Wars role rumours, they only said, "We are not allowed to talk about that." The 31-year-old actress delivered an emotional speech upon accepting the Academy award in February saying, "No matter where you are from, your dreams are valid."
"Star Wars Episode VII" is set to release on Dec. 18, 2015. It is expected that movie production will start in the spring in Los Angeles and the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports