Magnitude 4.4 Earthquake Hits Los Angeles Area; Hollywood Reacts on Twitter
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 18, 2014 11:28 AM EST
If not for the "sudden shake," Hollywood would have woken up to the usual St. Patrick's Day morning. But there is no exception. The event shook the celebrities awake.
"Pretty Little Liars" star Lucy Hale called the earthquake as nature's alarm clock while "Sin City" star Jessica Alba admitted that she hated being woken up by a quake.
Initially registered as 4.7, the earthquake was downgraded to magnitude 4.4 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Los Angeles Times reported that the quake was experienced by the majority of people in Southern California, but it was felt strongly in the Westside and Valley.
Reports on the Los Angeles earthquake confirmed that there were no injuries or damages that took place.
"We did our initial survey and it was felt only. No reports of any damage," Los Angeles County Fire Supervisor Michael Pittman told LA Times.
Joe Ramallo of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said that as of 6:45 a.m. there were no reports of water main breaks or power outages immediately following the earthquake. But he said crews are conducting routine safety checks after the quake to ensure their durability.
"Material Girls" star Hillary Duff shared on Twitter that everyone was safe although the earthquake had clearly been unpleasant.
Geophysicist Paul Caruso told CNN that, in general, the major damage or casualties of an earthquake wouldn't be anticipated if the magnitude is weaker than 5.5. He added, though, that results may vary by region, which mostly depends on "construction codes and types of rock that exist underground."
According to USGS, the earthquake happened at 6:25 a.m. Pacific Time with the center about 6 miles (9 kilometers) north-northwest of Westwood, 6 miles (10 kilometers) northwest of Beverly Hills, 7 miles (12 kilometers) of west Universal City, 7 miles (12 kilometers) north of Santa Monica and 349 miles (562 kilometers) south-southeast of Sacramento, California.
Here are some of the reactions coming from Hollywood celebrities via Twitter:
OMG! Did anyone just feel that Earthquake? So scary, woke me up out of an already scary nightmare. I hate earthquakes. :( — Paris Hilton (@ParisHilton) March 17, 2014
That was the scariest earthquake this lil New York girl ever experienced in Cali. Unbelievable this time.
— Nicki Minaj (@NICKIMINAJ) March 17, 2014
Earthquake was scary? Were all ok though! Anyone else feel it? — Kim Kardashian (@KimKardashian) March 17, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports