Magnitude 4.4 Earthquake Hits Los Angeles Area; Hollywood Reacts on Twitter
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 18, 2014 11:28 AM EST
If not for the "sudden shake," Hollywood would have woken up to the usual St. Patrick's Day morning. But there is no exception. The event shook the celebrities awake.
"Pretty Little Liars" star Lucy Hale called the earthquake as nature's alarm clock while "Sin City" star Jessica Alba admitted that she hated being woken up by a quake.
Initially registered as 4.7, the earthquake was downgraded to magnitude 4.4 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Los Angeles Times reported that the quake was experienced by the majority of people in Southern California, but it was felt strongly in the Westside and Valley.
Reports on the Los Angeles earthquake confirmed that there were no injuries or damages that took place.
"We did our initial survey and it was felt only. No reports of any damage," Los Angeles County Fire Supervisor Michael Pittman told LA Times.
Joe Ramallo of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said that as of 6:45 a.m. there were no reports of water main breaks or power outages immediately following the earthquake. But he said crews are conducting routine safety checks after the quake to ensure their durability.
"Material Girls" star Hillary Duff shared on Twitter that everyone was safe although the earthquake had clearly been unpleasant.
Geophysicist Paul Caruso told CNN that, in general, the major damage or casualties of an earthquake wouldn't be anticipated if the magnitude is weaker than 5.5. He added, though, that results may vary by region, which mostly depends on "construction codes and types of rock that exist underground."
According to USGS, the earthquake happened at 6:25 a.m. Pacific Time with the center about 6 miles (9 kilometers) north-northwest of Westwood, 6 miles (10 kilometers) northwest of Beverly Hills, 7 miles (12 kilometers) of west Universal City, 7 miles (12 kilometers) north of Santa Monica and 349 miles (562 kilometers) south-southeast of Sacramento, California.
Here are some of the reactions coming from Hollywood celebrities via Twitter:
OMG! Did anyone just feel that Earthquake? So scary, woke me up out of an already scary nightmare. I hate earthquakes. :( — Paris Hilton (@ParisHilton) March 17, 2014
That was the scariest earthquake this lil New York girl ever experienced in Cali. Unbelievable this time.
— Nicki Minaj (@NICKIMINAJ) March 17, 2014
Earthquake was scary? Were all ok though! Anyone else feel it? — Kim Kardashian (@KimKardashian) March 17, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report