Magnitude 4.4 Earthquake Hits Los Angeles Area; Hollywood Reacts on Twitter
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 18, 2014 11:28 AM EST
If not for the "sudden shake," Hollywood would have woken up to the usual St. Patrick's Day morning. But there is no exception. The event shook the celebrities awake.
"Pretty Little Liars" star Lucy Hale called the earthquake as nature's alarm clock while "Sin City" star Jessica Alba admitted that she hated being woken up by a quake.
Initially registered as 4.7, the earthquake was downgraded to magnitude 4.4 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Los Angeles Times reported that the quake was experienced by the majority of people in Southern California, but it was felt strongly in the Westside and Valley.
Reports on the Los Angeles earthquake confirmed that there were no injuries or damages that took place.
"We did our initial survey and it was felt only. No reports of any damage," Los Angeles County Fire Supervisor Michael Pittman told LA Times.
Joe Ramallo of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said that as of 6:45 a.m. there were no reports of water main breaks or power outages immediately following the earthquake. But he said crews are conducting routine safety checks after the quake to ensure their durability.
"Material Girls" star Hillary Duff shared on Twitter that everyone was safe although the earthquake had clearly been unpleasant.
Geophysicist Paul Caruso told CNN that, in general, the major damage or casualties of an earthquake wouldn't be anticipated if the magnitude is weaker than 5.5. He added, though, that results may vary by region, which mostly depends on "construction codes and types of rock that exist underground."
According to USGS, the earthquake happened at 6:25 a.m. Pacific Time with the center about 6 miles (9 kilometers) north-northwest of Westwood, 6 miles (10 kilometers) northwest of Beverly Hills, 7 miles (12 kilometers) of west Universal City, 7 miles (12 kilometers) north of Santa Monica and 349 miles (562 kilometers) south-southeast of Sacramento, California.
Here are some of the reactions coming from Hollywood celebrities via Twitter:
OMG! Did anyone just feel that Earthquake? So scary, woke me up out of an already scary nightmare. I hate earthquakes. :( — Paris Hilton (@ParisHilton) March 17, 2014
That was the scariest earthquake this lil New York girl ever experienced in Cali. Unbelievable this time.
— Nicki Minaj (@NICKIMINAJ) March 17, 2014
Earthquake was scary? Were all ok though! Anyone else feel it? — Kim Kardashian (@KimKardashian) March 17, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015