Dolphin Slams Aussie Surfer at Remote NSW Beach
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 18, 2014 9:55 AM EST
A 27-year-old Australian surfer hit a dolphin while riding a wave at Bawley Point on the south coast of New South Wales. The accident site is about 250 kilometres south of Sydney.
The mammal hit the male surfer on the pelvic area with such a force that the man's wetsuit was torn. But the man managed to swim his way out of the water, according to Wayne Dunlop, duty operations manager of NSW Ambulance.
Paramedics treated the victim of the dolphin slamming and airlifted him to a Sydney hospital.
Beach accidents involving marine animals sometimes happen in Australia's coastline. In July 2013, a surfer at Bondi Beach in Sydney was knocked unconscious by a whale when he got too close.
Ronny Ling, president of the marine research group ORCCA, said it is difficult to tell if the dolphin intentionally hit the male surfer or just miscalculated its move.
To protect swimmers and surfers from these types of accidents, the law requires humans to stay 50 metres away from dolphins and 100 metres from whales because of dolphin ramming incidents in the past in NSW which happens when people try to interact with the mammal, often portrayed in movies such as Free Willy and marine shows as very friendly creatures, but dolphins are actually unpredictable animals.
However, they could also be heroic by saving a surfer's life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- New Technology to Build Invisible Material Using Light: Study Says
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Streaks of Jealousy Found Among Dogs
- Health Experts Plead Action to Prevent Skin Cancer Epidemic in New Zealand
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal