Westpac Chief Economist Forecasts Reserve Bank of Australia Will Increase Overnight Cash Rate in Q3 2015
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 18, 2014 9:48 AM EST
The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) would not likely follow the footstep of neighbour's Reserve Bank of New Zealand which last week its overnight cash rate by 25 basis points to 2.75 per cent.
His forecasts are being watched by the banking industry because of its accuracy since Mr Evans correctly predicted in June 2011 that the Australian central bank would cut interest rates, which the RBA did in November 2011.
Since then, the RBA cut by 2.25 percentage points the overnight cash rate until its last cut in August 2013
He favours maintaining the current lower overnight cash rates.
"Given their rhetoric and their clear resistance to changing rates the cased needed to be very strong," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Mr Evans.
His forecast was shared by the National Australia Bank and the Bank of America-Merrill Lynch. Saul Eslake, chief economist of BA-Merrill Lynch said,
We remain of the view, notwithstanding some recent data which challenges it, that growth will remain below trend and unemployment will continue to rise for longer than the RBA now does; and we aren't as pessimistic as the RBA seems to be about the near-term inflation outlook."
Mr Eslake points to Q2 2015 as the likely quarter when the RBA would adjust its overnight cash rate.
The Westpac chief economist also sees the drop in value of the Aussie dollar to 87 U.S. cents in March 2015, actually slightly up from the previous forecast of 85 cents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date