Westpac Chief Economist Forecasts Reserve Bank of Australia Will Increase Overnight Cash Rate in Q3 2015
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 18, 2014 9:48 AM EST
The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) would not likely follow the footstep of neighbour's Reserve Bank of New Zealand which last week its overnight cash rate by 25 basis points to 2.75 per cent.
His forecasts are being watched by the banking industry because of its accuracy since Mr Evans correctly predicted in June 2011 that the Australian central bank would cut interest rates, which the RBA did in November 2011.
Since then, the RBA cut by 2.25 percentage points the overnight cash rate until its last cut in August 2013
He favours maintaining the current lower overnight cash rates.
"Given their rhetoric and their clear resistance to changing rates the cased needed to be very strong," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Mr Evans.
His forecast was shared by the National Australia Bank and the Bank of America-Merrill Lynch. Saul Eslake, chief economist of BA-Merrill Lynch said,
We remain of the view, notwithstanding some recent data which challenges it, that growth will remain below trend and unemployment will continue to rise for longer than the RBA now does; and we aren't as pessimistic as the RBA seems to be about the near-term inflation outlook."
Mr Eslake points to Q2 2015 as the likely quarter when the RBA would adjust its overnight cash rate.
The Westpac chief economist also sees the drop in value of the Aussie dollar to 87 U.S. cents in March 2015, actually slightly up from the previous forecast of 85 cents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best