Bombardier Snags Part of C$5.16B Contract to Supply South Africa With 1,000+ Rail Coaches
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 18, 2014 9:31 AM EST
Canadian manufacturing giant Bombardier got part of a $5.16-billion contract to supply South Africa with 1,064 locomotives to the country's freight rail system, Transnet Freight Rail.
Bombardier is one of the four that snagged the lucrative contract, although the firm did not disclose how much is its share of the contract.
Bombardier and CSR Zhouzhou Electric will provide 599 electric locomotives and General Electric and CNR Rolling Stock will build 465 diesel engines. All the locomotives assigned to Bombardier would be manufactured in South Africa. CSR and CNR are Chinese firms.
The new locomotives are part of Transnet's $28-billion seven-year expansion plan for its railways, ports and pipelines to move faster commodities for export by 2019, mainly coal and iron ore.
Transnet Chief Executive Brian Molefe said it split the contract into four companies because no single manufacturer has the capacity or resources to deliver the 1,000 plus locomotives within the time span required.
The first delivery is expected after 15 months and the last after three years.
Bombardier was also the manufacturer of high-speed passenger trains in Johannesburg, which Toronto does not even have.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015