Happy St. Patrick’s Day 2014: Quotes, Sayings, Blessings, Symbols, Food to Share for Irish Holiday
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 17, 2014 10:27 PM EST
One of the most interesting observances in the Western world, especially among those with Irish descent, is here. St Patrick's Day occurs on 17 March every year and is seen throughout the world as a day to remember and celebrate the importance of Ireland's patron saint, St Patrick.
Billy Liddell Via Twitter
Happy St Patrick's Day 2014: Here are some of the quotes, blessings, symbols and food to share on this important Irish Holiday
In the United States, the day largely and popularly marks the Irish-American culture, while the most predominant feature of the day is the use of green color.
Although the day is fixed on 17 March, authorities of the Catholic Church occasionally move it to avoid clashing with some other days of importance.
Irish themed parties, alcoholic drinks and food are commonplace to mark the day as people celebrating the day are often seen sporting green clothes. Large street parades are often organized in many cities. In the US, large parades are held in cities such as Chicago, Boston, Houston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Denver, New Orleans and more. If 17 March falls on a Sunday, then the parades will be held on Saturday in New York.
The most prominent symbols of the day is the Shamrock, the leaf of the clover plant, which is considered to be a symbol of the Holy Trinity. Other symbols to mark the day includes, the green, orange and white flag of the Rupublic of Ireland, brands of beer associated with Irish culture and almost anything that is green in colour.
Many people enjoy the day with Irish food or drink including:
- Corned beef and cabbage
- Beef and Guinness pie
- Irish brown bread
- Irish cream chocolate mousse cake
- Irish coffee
- Irish potato champ, often called poundies, pandy or cally
- Irish stew
- Irish potato soup
In the Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, St Patrick's Day is a bank holiday. However, the day is not a federal holiday in the United States.
Let us mark the day with some of the most famous quotes, sayings and Irish blessings for the day:
1. May you always walk in sunshine. May you never want for more. May Irish angels rest their wings right beside your door - Irish Blessing
2. May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door." - Irish Blessing
3. St Patrick's Day is an enchanted time - a day to begin transforming winter's dreams into summer's magic. - Adrienne Cook
4. There are only two kinds of people in the world, The Irish and those who wish they were. - Saying
5. In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here! - Saying
6. St Patrick - one of the few saints whose feast day presents the opportunity to get determinedly whacked and make a fool of oneself all under the guise of acting Irish. - Charles M Madigan
7. May you live to be a hundred years, with one extra year to repent. - Irish Blessing
8. Always remember to forget the friends that proved untrue. But never forget to remember those that have stuck by you. - Irish Proverb
9. If you're lucky enough to be Irish, then you're lucky enough. - Irish saying
10. We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English. - Winston Churchill
11. Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy
12. That's what the holidays are for - for one person to tell the stories and another to dispute them. Isn't that the Irish way? - Lara Flynn Boyle
13. May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light, may good luck pursue you each morning and night - Irish Blessing
14. What do you get when you cross poison ivy with a four-leaf clover? A rash of good luck. - Unknown.
15. For each petal on the shamrock
This brings a wish your way-
Good health, good luck, and happiness
For today and everyday. - Unknown
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen