Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS Update to Roll Out for Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) by March End: Report
By Rohit KVN | March 17, 2014 10:07 PM EST
Earlier in the year, Samsung released Android's latest software update to its 2013 marquee handsets Galaxy S4 and Note 3. And now, the company is getting ready to roll out KitKat firmware to its 2012 flagship phone Galaxy S3 later this month.
Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2 set to get Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Update
Samsung Arabia, in a reply to a Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) owner on Facebook, has promised to release the new Android OS by the end of March, thereby ending months of uncertainty on whether the 2012 model would get a new firmware. [To view the Samsung Arabia's reply, click here]
However, the company's announcement has raised doubts on how Galaxy S3, which made its debut more than a year-and-a-half ago (29 May, 2012 to be precise), would get the new OS update, four months past the obligatory software upgrade period between Android and OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer) partners.
[Note: Google has a policy with partners to provide software upgrade for a maximum of 18 months only].
But if Samsung Mobile Arabia's announcement turns out to be true, it is certain to bring cheers to the loyal Samsung fans, and is expected to help build a stronger bond between the consumers and the company.
[Update: Intial doubts have come true, Samsung Mobile Arabia has now retracted its earlier statement about the KitKat update for Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300), The company's in its new statement has said that Samsung has no immediate plan to release new software update for the 2012 flagsip model, reported SamMobile]
Devices confirmed to get KitKat OS update:
Samsund device officially confirmed to get the new OS update, include Galaxy S4 Mini, S4 Active, S4 Zoom, Galaxy S3 Mini, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy Light and tablets such as Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition), Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Tab 3.
Key features of Android v4.4 KitKat OS update:
Location Menu: This integrated location menu enables users easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks, while simultaneously keeping a tab on the battery consumption by the location service based apps.
Enhanced Google Mobile Service (GMS) apps: This application helps user to automatically back-up photos and video clips. He/she also can create, view, share rename Google Docs and files.
Improved Caller-ID: If a user receives a call from unknown number, the phone will look for matches on the net with local listings via Google Maps.
Priority Contacts: The new OS empowers the phone to automatically prioritize contact list for easy access, based on the frequency of the peoples' contacts to which users talk.
Immersive display: To enhance the entertainment factor, the new OS comes with immersive mode, where the status bar and navigation buttons disappear in to the back ground while you play music, games and read e-books. Users can just swipe the edge of the screen to bring back the utility buttons.
Enhanced Message grouping: Google has brought in some improvements to the new Hangouts app; now, users can find all their text SMSs and MMSs, audio and video call details all at one place. He/She can also share location and send animated GIFs.
Emoji Characters: Initially users had to install third party app to use colorful characters in their SMS. Now, with KitKat update, the keypad comes pre-loaded with native Japanese Emoji emotion icons.
NFC and Wireless Printing: Google's new OS comes with a new Quickoffice app where-in people can create and store word documents in cloud storage as well as print files wirelessly on NFC-enabled HP printers.
Multi-tasking: with efficient memory management, users can multi-task by opening multiple applications; Listen to music while you can browse through the net.
Performance: Like all software updates, the new KitKat enhances smartphone's performance as well as efficient RAM management, leading to increase in battery
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports