Future Music Festival Malaysia Cancels Final Day After 6 Died From Suspected Meth Overdose
By Anne Lu | March 17, 2014 8:42 PM EST
The Future Music Festival in Malaysia has cancelled its final day after six died from suspected drug overdoses. Organisers have called off the third day of music event on Saturday following the death of the revellers on its first day, effectively cancelling the appearance of Pharrell Williams.
According to Malaysian police, six locals were pronounced drug upon arrival at a hospital about 2am after attending the first day of the festival. They were believed to have taken and overdosed on the drug methamphetamine before going to the concert.
Kuala Lumpur police chief Datuk Mohmad Salleh told a news conference that two Singaporean men and one Malaysian man between the ages of 19 to 27 are also in critical condition and are being treated at the University Malaya Medical Centre and the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre.
Police have also arrested 19 revellers for drug possession during the two-day event, including 12 tourists from Australia, Singapore, and Indonesia, as well as seven locals.
“The organisers of the festival are deeply saddened by the reported loss of lives on Friday 14th March. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of those affected. The health and safety of our patrons is of upmost importance to us and we are extremely devastated that circumstances such as these occurred despite the significant planning and resources in place,” the statement on the festival’s Web site reads.
Ticketholders may request a refund from the organisers for the cancelled event.
Future Music Festival has just finished its Australian leg of the tour, which commenced and concluded from March 1 to 10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date