Box Office: 'Nimirnthu Nil', 'Thegidi', 'Vallinam' , 'IKK' Collections
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 17, 2014 8:28 PM EST
Check out the box office collection report of Tamil films "Nimirnthu Nil", "Thegidi", "Vallinam", "Idhu Kathirvelan Kadhal" and "Aayirathil Oruvan" at the Chennai box office.
Jayam Ravi (Twitter)
Jayam Ravi's "Nimirnthu Nil" dominates the Chennai box office, thanks to no big releases in the last one week.
"Nimirnthu Nil," which was slated to hit the screens on 7 March, faced release issues and made it to theatres only from 8 March evening shows. The film witnessed good attendance in its opening weekend and continued to do solid business.
The Jayam Ravi starrer has earned over ₹1.8 crore at the end of the second weekend in Chennai theatres. The film hasn't lost a single show compared with last week, according to Behindwoods website.
Lack of big releases seems to have worked in the favour of "Nimirnthu Nil." The action-thriller flick, written and directed by Samuthirakani, is going rock steady. The film has successfully entered into its second week, but it remains to be seen whether the action entertainer will be able to sustain its business in the coming days.
MGR's yesteryear blockbuster flick "Aayirathil Oruvan" was digitally restored and was released on 14 March. The film took an average opening and earned more than ₹26.9 lakh in the first weekend at the Chennai box office.
The film had performed dismally on the first and the second day, but its performance was kind of okay on Sunday in multiplexes. Its business is expected to drop during the weekdays.
The murder mystery has emerged as one of the profitable ventures of the year.
The film, which released on 28 February, opened with good reviews from critics and the audience. Armed with positive word of mouth, "Thegidi" did decent business in its first week.
The film is going rock-steady even in its third week. The Ashok Selvan-Janani Iyer starrer has earned over ₹63 lakh in 17 days at the Chennai box office.
According to Producers Council's President Keyaar, only two films have turned out to be profitable ventures for all sections of trade, so far this year. One being "Goli Soda," the other one is "Thegidi." He revealed that the second week collection of "Thegidi" were better than its first week collections.
Nakul's "Vallinam" received positive reviews upon its release. The sports film took a decent opening, but its performance has dropped significantly.
The film is turning out to be a below average venture. It has minted over ₹67 lakh in 17 days at the Chennai box office.
Idhu Kathirvelan Kadhal
Udhayanidhi Stalin-Nayanthara starrer "Idhu Kathirvelan Kadhal" is fast approaching the 50-day mark. The film, which hit the screens on 14 February, registered a good opening in the first weekend.
The film did good business at the box office, thanks to decent feedback it received from critics and the audience. The romantic-comedy entertainer successfully completed 25 days and is still running in selected theatres.
The film has fetched over ₹3.6 crore at the Chennai box office.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown