Box Office: 'Nimirnthu Nil', 'Thegidi', 'Vallinam' , 'IKK' Collections
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 17, 2014 8:28 PM EST
Check out the box office collection report of Tamil films "Nimirnthu Nil", "Thegidi", "Vallinam", "Idhu Kathirvelan Kadhal" and "Aayirathil Oruvan" at the Chennai box office.
Jayam Ravi (Twitter)
Jayam Ravi's "Nimirnthu Nil" dominates the Chennai box office, thanks to no big releases in the last one week.
"Nimirnthu Nil," which was slated to hit the screens on 7 March, faced release issues and made it to theatres only from 8 March evening shows. The film witnessed good attendance in its opening weekend and continued to do solid business.
The Jayam Ravi starrer has earned over ₹1.8 crore at the end of the second weekend in Chennai theatres. The film hasn't lost a single show compared with last week, according to Behindwoods website.
Lack of big releases seems to have worked in the favour of "Nimirnthu Nil." The action-thriller flick, written and directed by Samuthirakani, is going rock steady. The film has successfully entered into its second week, but it remains to be seen whether the action entertainer will be able to sustain its business in the coming days.
MGR's yesteryear blockbuster flick "Aayirathil Oruvan" was digitally restored and was released on 14 March. The film took an average opening and earned more than ₹26.9 lakh in the first weekend at the Chennai box office.
The film had performed dismally on the first and the second day, but its performance was kind of okay on Sunday in multiplexes. Its business is expected to drop during the weekdays.
The murder mystery has emerged as one of the profitable ventures of the year.
The film, which released on 28 February, opened with good reviews from critics and the audience. Armed with positive word of mouth, "Thegidi" did decent business in its first week.
The film is going rock-steady even in its third week. The Ashok Selvan-Janani Iyer starrer has earned over ₹63 lakh in 17 days at the Chennai box office.
According to Producers Council's President Keyaar, only two films have turned out to be profitable ventures for all sections of trade, so far this year. One being "Goli Soda," the other one is "Thegidi." He revealed that the second week collection of "Thegidi" were better than its first week collections.
Nakul's "Vallinam" received positive reviews upon its release. The sports film took a decent opening, but its performance has dropped significantly.
The film is turning out to be a below average venture. It has minted over ₹67 lakh in 17 days at the Chennai box office.
Idhu Kathirvelan Kadhal
Udhayanidhi Stalin-Nayanthara starrer "Idhu Kathirvelan Kadhal" is fast approaching the 50-day mark. The film, which hit the screens on 14 February, registered a good opening in the first weekend.
The film did good business at the box office, thanks to decent feedback it received from critics and the audience. The romantic-comedy entertainer successfully completed 25 days and is still running in selected theatres.
The film has fetched over ₹3.6 crore at the Chennai box office.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan