Victory for Nico Rosberg in the Australian Grand Prix
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 17, 2014 8:13 PM EST
The German Formula One racer for Mercedes team, Nico Rosberg, surprised the veterans after snatching the winning title in the Australian Grand Prix final held on Sunday. This is fourth win of his career.
The new engine of Mercedes with hybrid technology proved to be a stunner as Daniel crossed the chequered flag at 24.5 seconds. An ecstatic Rosberg said, "The whole team did such a good job on it. It was a really good engine, not much problem with fuel consumption and the reliability was great. It was such a reward for all the team's hard work to dominate in such a way in the first race of the season".
Red Bulll debutant, Australia's Daniel Ricciardo, who followed Nico at the second position, was unlucky as he got disqualified because of exceeding the limit of permitted fuel flow. The second position was thus replaced by McLaren rookie Kevin Magnussen.
Magnussen said, "I just can't believe it. It's not a win but it definitely feels like it and the team has been coming off a difficult season and they've made this rookie feel really comfortable."
The executive chairman of McLaren, Ron Dennis, who seems quite content with the win, said, "It's nothing to do with me."
"I was just here to watch. It was a good podium for a great young driver."
Jenson Button, who finished at the fourth position, was pushed to the third position. Button holds three titles in the Sydney circuit and its one of his favourite tracks.
Fourteen out of 22 cars finished the adrenaline-filled race. The start was somehow chaotic as Kamui Kobayashi collided at the first bend, taking Felipe Massa who eventually led them out of the race. Stewards further confirmed that they will launch an investigation to sort out the issue.
The biggest setback comes with Lewis Hamilton as he managed to complete just one lap before he was stuck by a power shortage because of a misfiring cylinder, forcing him to back off from the race.
He later added, "We knew reliability could be an issue but of course it surprises you when it happens, but it's early stages and there's a long way to go so I will remain positive and focus on the next race. I felt like I didn't have power. I kept going as long as I could, but there was no point."
"As soon as I left the lane I had a lot less power than I usually have. They asked me to come in, but I said 'no, no, I can keep going', but I then had to come in."
"I think of all the work that has gone in from the guys in the factory and all the days and nights stressing. We looked so strong but to then have a hiccup is tough for everyone, but we will bounce back."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best