Victory for Nico Rosberg in the Australian Grand Prix
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 17, 2014 8:13 PM EST
The German Formula One racer for Mercedes team, Nico Rosberg, surprised the veterans after snatching the winning title in the Australian Grand Prix final held on Sunday. This is fourth win of his career.
The new engine of Mercedes with hybrid technology proved to be a stunner as Daniel crossed the chequered flag at 24.5 seconds. An ecstatic Rosberg said, "The whole team did such a good job on it. It was a really good engine, not much problem with fuel consumption and the reliability was great. It was such a reward for all the team's hard work to dominate in such a way in the first race of the season".
Red Bulll debutant, Australia's Daniel Ricciardo, who followed Nico at the second position, was unlucky as he got disqualified because of exceeding the limit of permitted fuel flow. The second position was thus replaced by McLaren rookie Kevin Magnussen.
Magnussen said, "I just can't believe it. It's not a win but it definitely feels like it and the team has been coming off a difficult season and they've made this rookie feel really comfortable."
The executive chairman of McLaren, Ron Dennis, who seems quite content with the win, said, "It's nothing to do with me."
"I was just here to watch. It was a good podium for a great young driver."
Jenson Button, who finished at the fourth position, was pushed to the third position. Button holds three titles in the Sydney circuit and its one of his favourite tracks.
Fourteen out of 22 cars finished the adrenaline-filled race. The start was somehow chaotic as Kamui Kobayashi collided at the first bend, taking Felipe Massa who eventually led them out of the race. Stewards further confirmed that they will launch an investigation to sort out the issue.
The biggest setback comes with Lewis Hamilton as he managed to complete just one lap before he was stuck by a power shortage because of a misfiring cylinder, forcing him to back off from the race.
He later added, "We knew reliability could be an issue but of course it surprises you when it happens, but it's early stages and there's a long way to go so I will remain positive and focus on the next race. I felt like I didn't have power. I kept going as long as I could, but there was no point."
"As soon as I left the lane I had a lot less power than I usually have. They asked me to come in, but I said 'no, no, I can keep going', but I then had to come in."
"I think of all the work that has gone in from the guys in the factory and all the days and nights stressing. We looked so strong but to then have a hiccup is tough for everyone, but we will bounce back."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]