Victory for Nico Rosberg in the Australian Grand Prix
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 17, 2014 8:13 PM EST
The German Formula One racer for Mercedes team, Nico Rosberg, surprised the veterans after snatching the winning title in the Australian Grand Prix final held on Sunday. This is fourth win of his career.
The new engine of Mercedes with hybrid technology proved to be a stunner as Daniel crossed the chequered flag at 24.5 seconds. An ecstatic Rosberg said, "The whole team did such a good job on it. It was a really good engine, not much problem with fuel consumption and the reliability was great. It was such a reward for all the team's hard work to dominate in such a way in the first race of the season".
Red Bulll debutant, Australia's Daniel Ricciardo, who followed Nico at the second position, was unlucky as he got disqualified because of exceeding the limit of permitted fuel flow. The second position was thus replaced by McLaren rookie Kevin Magnussen.
Magnussen said, "I just can't believe it. It's not a win but it definitely feels like it and the team has been coming off a difficult season and they've made this rookie feel really comfortable."
The executive chairman of McLaren, Ron Dennis, who seems quite content with the win, said, "It's nothing to do with me."
"I was just here to watch. It was a good podium for a great young driver."
Jenson Button, who finished at the fourth position, was pushed to the third position. Button holds three titles in the Sydney circuit and its one of his favourite tracks.
Fourteen out of 22 cars finished the adrenaline-filled race. The start was somehow chaotic as Kamui Kobayashi collided at the first bend, taking Felipe Massa who eventually led them out of the race. Stewards further confirmed that they will launch an investigation to sort out the issue.
The biggest setback comes with Lewis Hamilton as he managed to complete just one lap before he was stuck by a power shortage because of a misfiring cylinder, forcing him to back off from the race.
He later added, "We knew reliability could be an issue but of course it surprises you when it happens, but it's early stages and there's a long way to go so I will remain positive and focus on the next race. I felt like I didn't have power. I kept going as long as I could, but there was no point."
"As soon as I left the lane I had a lot less power than I usually have. They asked me to come in, but I said 'no, no, I can keep going', but I then had to come in."
"I think of all the work that has gone in from the guys in the factory and all the days and nights stressing. We looked so strong but to then have a hiccup is tough for everyone, but we will bounce back."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features