'My Five Wives' Family Celebrates Feminism and Overturned Polygamy Law, No Longer Criminals
By Vanessa Francisco | March 17, 2014 6:26 PM EST
"My Five Wives" is a show on TLC that gives viewers a chance to learn more about a modern polygamist family. Brady Williams is the polygamist man in charge, who used to be a fundamentalist Mormon, but not anymore.
Williams, who has five wives and calls themselves Progressive polygamists, also identifies themselves as feminists. When the Atlantic asked who among them considers themselves as "feminist," all of them raised their hands. Brady does not want to be called the "head of the household" and believes in equality for all of his marriages.
The Williams family consists of one husband, five wives and 24 children. Brady sleeps with the women every fifth night while the women share him with the other wives for the rest of the week. Some of the wives expressed their want to have more children when one wife considered the idea of adoption. The family also uses birth control even if they were all raised believing that they should not.
According to ABC, Brady had five wives when he turned 29 years old. He says it is not that complicated because they love each other and it is just like "normal times five." He confesses that they have sex, but there is no hanky-panky between them. There are two houses next two each other, and each wife and their children have their own space. He says fundamentalist Mormons believe polygamy is the way to heaven and Williams believe it as well.
Meanwhile, the polygamist family is now celebrating a Utah judge's decision legalising their unconventional lifestyle. "Sister Wives" star Kody Brown and his four wives sued the state of Utah for its polygamy law, which is now declared unconstitutional. "Polygamy is not illegal anymore. Amazing," Brady told Radar Online.
In December of 2013, the judge removed part of the polygamy law in Utah that deals with "cohabitation." Bigamy is still illegal, but plural families are now allowed to live together in the state as long as there is only one legal marriage. "It's really really good news for us as a family and for all polygamists that we're now no longer criminals," Brady added.
Brady is a philosophy major taking a feminist theory class at the moment. He is also a manager of a construction company.
"My Five Wives" airs every Sunday at 10/9c on TLC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales