Happy Holi 2014: Google Celebrates Festival Of Colours With Colourful Doodle
By greeshma m | March 17, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Search engine giant Google on Monday showcased a colourful doodle on its homepage to celebrate the Holi festival.
As India celebrates the Holi festival, Google added colours to the celebration with 'pitchkari' (spraygun) splashing different colours on the Google logo. This is the fourth time Google India is celebrating Holi with the Doodle. Earlier Google had showcased Holi doodle in 2001 and then again in 2010 and 2011.
Happy Holi: Google Celebrates Festival OF Colours With Colourful Doodle
Holi is a festival, which stands for the triumph of good over evil. It marks the end of winter and indicates the arrival of spring. It is primarily observed in India and Nepal. In recent times, the festival is also celebrated in parts of Europe and North America as a spring celebration of love, frolic and colours. Holi celebrations start with a Holika bonfire on the eve of Holi where people gather, sing and dance.
Holi is celebrated on the Phalguna Purnima (Full Moon). Although the date of the festival varies every year, it typically falls in the month of March.
Earlier in March, Google celebrated International Women's Day with a homepage doodle featuring women from all walks of life. The famous faces featured in the Women's day video included the education rights campaigner Malala Yousafzai and the singer Asha Bhonsle.
On 14 February, Google showcased an interactive doodle on the homepage to mark the day of love. The animated doodle allowed the user to make candy box for their beloved ones on the day of romance. Google offered the users 13 ingredients to choose from including milk, dark and white chocolates, sprinklers, gummy bears, toffees, almonds, strawberries, cherries and walnuts to make chocolates.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft