Nokia X, HTC Desire 816 Get 1 Million Pre-orders in China?
By Jenalyn Villamarin | March 17, 2014 5:38 PM EST
Previous announcement on the HTC Desire 816 revealed that the smartphone has raked in over 450,000 pre-orders in China. The latest reports claim the HTC Desire 816 pre-order numbers has now reached more than 1 million, similar to Nokia's announcement that the Nokia X got pre-ordered more than 1 million times in China.
The HTC's official Weibo account show that the HTC Desire 816 smartphone got more than 1 million pre-orders. However, G4Games reports that the so-called pre-orders, which HTC calls "0 yuan pre-order", did not actually require prospective customers to commit to anything. The pre-order set-up is the same as Nokia X, which also reached 1 million+ pre-orders. So while these pre-order figures show the market's interest for both HTC Desire 816 and Nokia X, this, in no way, measures the actual sales of these upcoming smartphones. The report further notes that actual sales could be much lower than 1 million.
The GSMArena report initially claimed the Nokia X, the first Android smartphone introduced at the 2014 Mobile World Congress (MWC) and has already been put up for sale in India and Malaysia, scored 1 million pre-orders in China. Nokia reveals via its Weibo account that this pre-order figure was reached in 4 days. Nokia does not have any prediction of its overall sales in China. However, the Finnish company is confident the Nokia X would be able to capture a considerable market share in the country.
However, the Web site's latest report revealed that the claim on the 1 million pre-orders in China was not true. "RetailerJD.com set up a contest where participants could hit a 'pre-order' button for a chance to win a Nokia X. The pre-orders didn't require you to register with the site or put any money down, which is not the norm for China," the report noted.
It was further pointed out that Nokia X Android smartphone may not have difficulty in attaining that number because the handset will be put up for sale with the low price tag of $100 unlocked. The Nokia X Android smartphone's shipping schedule across the country will take place on Tuesday, March 25, giving a few weeks more before finding out the final pre-order figures.
More Articles to Read:
Nokia Lumia 1520: Windows Phone 8 Phablet Can Support SanDisk's New 128GB MicroSDXC Memory Card - [READ]
Nokia Lumia Martini: Windows Phone Blue Handset To Appear at Nokia's April 19 Event? - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- Xbox One News: Games with Gold for August Announced; Updates for Progress in China
- The SIMS 4 on Sept 2 Release: Low Demands Specs, No Toddlers or Pools and 3 Premium Packs
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report