Arsenal Transfer News: Giroud to Leave in the Summer? Wenger Targets Bayern Munich Star
By Deepak Vikraman | March 17, 2014 5:36 PM EST
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud could be on his way back to France this summer, while Arsene Wenger targets Bayern Munich forward Mario Mandzukic.
Giroud was recently embroiled in an off-field issue, with reports suggesting the 27-year-old had cheated on his wife Jennifer with model Celia Kay.
According to a report in The Sun, Giroud, desperate to reconcile with his wife, has agreed to move back to France after Jennifer reportedly asked her husband to leave London.
"[Jennifer] has agreed to take him back but only on the condition they leave London and England," an unnamed source was quoted as saying by The Sun.
"He [Giroud] is desperate to save the marriage because he knows how stupid he's been -- so he is going along with what she wants."
It is highly unlikely that Giroud will want to leave Arsenal for professional reasons, even if Wenger is likely to bring in another striker to help reduce the burden on the Frenchman.
However, if the report turns out to be true, then Arsenal could lose a vital player come next season, with none of the French clubs, other than PSG and Monaco, likely to pay a big fee for the striker.
Giroud could be replaced in the lineup next season by Mario Mandzukic, who is expected to exit Bayern at the end of the season due to the imminent arrival of Robert Lewandowski.
The Borussia Dortmund striker has already agreed a five-year contract with Bayern and will officially complete his free transfer when his current deal with Dortmund expires in June.
With Pep Guardiola set to prefer Lewandowski, Mandzukic might be forced into making a switch to get regular first-team football and Arsenal could be a possible destination for the former Wolfsburg man.
Bayern value Mandzukic, who will turn 28 in two months, at around £20 million, a figure which Arsenal should not have too many problems in matching, even if Wenger is likely to have a couple of other prospects in mind as well.
Julian Draxler remains a major target for Arsenal in the summer, and while the German international is not a central striker at the moment, it is believed Wenger is keen on converting the Schalke playmaker into one, like he did with Thierry Henry and Robin Van Persie.
The likes of Diego Costa, also wanted by Chelsea and Manchester United, Jackson Martinez and Edinson Cavani remain on Arsenal's radar, but the North London club are likely to be priced out of a move for the trio.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People