Arsenal Transfer News: Giroud to Leave in the Summer? Wenger Targets Bayern Munich Star
By Deepak Vikraman | March 17, 2014 5:36 PM EST
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud could be on his way back to France this summer, while Arsene Wenger targets Bayern Munich forward Mario Mandzukic.
Giroud was recently embroiled in an off-field issue, with reports suggesting the 27-year-old had cheated on his wife Jennifer with model Celia Kay.
According to a report in The Sun, Giroud, desperate to reconcile with his wife, has agreed to move back to France after Jennifer reportedly asked her husband to leave London.
"[Jennifer] has agreed to take him back but only on the condition they leave London and England," an unnamed source was quoted as saying by The Sun.
"He [Giroud] is desperate to save the marriage because he knows how stupid he's been -- so he is going along with what she wants."
It is highly unlikely that Giroud will want to leave Arsenal for professional reasons, even if Wenger is likely to bring in another striker to help reduce the burden on the Frenchman.
However, if the report turns out to be true, then Arsenal could lose a vital player come next season, with none of the French clubs, other than PSG and Monaco, likely to pay a big fee for the striker.
Giroud could be replaced in the lineup next season by Mario Mandzukic, who is expected to exit Bayern at the end of the season due to the imminent arrival of Robert Lewandowski.
The Borussia Dortmund striker has already agreed a five-year contract with Bayern and will officially complete his free transfer when his current deal with Dortmund expires in June.
With Pep Guardiola set to prefer Lewandowski, Mandzukic might be forced into making a switch to get regular first-team football and Arsenal could be a possible destination for the former Wolfsburg man.
Bayern value Mandzukic, who will turn 28 in two months, at around £20 million, a figure which Arsenal should not have too many problems in matching, even if Wenger is likely to have a couple of other prospects in mind as well.
Julian Draxler remains a major target for Arsenal in the summer, and while the German international is not a central striker at the moment, it is believed Wenger is keen on converting the Schalke playmaker into one, like he did with Thierry Henry and Robin Van Persie.
The likes of Diego Costa, also wanted by Chelsea and Manchester United, Jackson Martinez and Edinson Cavani remain on Arsenal's radar, but the North London club are likely to be priced out of a move for the trio.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports