Arsenal Transfer News: Giroud to Leave in the Summer? Wenger Targets Bayern Munich Star
By Deepak Vikraman | March 17, 2014 5:36 PM EST
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud could be on his way back to France this summer, while Arsene Wenger targets Bayern Munich forward Mario Mandzukic.
Giroud was recently embroiled in an off-field issue, with reports suggesting the 27-year-old had cheated on his wife Jennifer with model Celia Kay.
According to a report in The Sun, Giroud, desperate to reconcile with his wife, has agreed to move back to France after Jennifer reportedly asked her husband to leave London.
"[Jennifer] has agreed to take him back but only on the condition they leave London and England," an unnamed source was quoted as saying by The Sun.
"He [Giroud] is desperate to save the marriage because he knows how stupid he's been -- so he is going along with what she wants."
It is highly unlikely that Giroud will want to leave Arsenal for professional reasons, even if Wenger is likely to bring in another striker to help reduce the burden on the Frenchman.
However, if the report turns out to be true, then Arsenal could lose a vital player come next season, with none of the French clubs, other than PSG and Monaco, likely to pay a big fee for the striker.
Giroud could be replaced in the lineup next season by Mario Mandzukic, who is expected to exit Bayern at the end of the season due to the imminent arrival of Robert Lewandowski.
The Borussia Dortmund striker has already agreed a five-year contract with Bayern and will officially complete his free transfer when his current deal with Dortmund expires in June.
With Pep Guardiola set to prefer Lewandowski, Mandzukic might be forced into making a switch to get regular first-team football and Arsenal could be a possible destination for the former Wolfsburg man.
Bayern value Mandzukic, who will turn 28 in two months, at around £20 million, a figure which Arsenal should not have too many problems in matching, even if Wenger is likely to have a couple of other prospects in mind as well.
Julian Draxler remains a major target for Arsenal in the summer, and while the German international is not a central striker at the moment, it is believed Wenger is keen on converting the Schalke playmaker into one, like he did with Thierry Henry and Robin Van Persie.
The likes of Diego Costa, also wanted by Chelsea and Manchester United, Jackson Martinez and Edinson Cavani remain on Arsenal's radar, but the North London club are likely to be priced out of a move for the trio.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles