Holi 2014: India Celebrates Festival of Colours [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | March 17, 2014 5:25 PM EST
People from across India celebrated the festival of colours, Holi, with gulal (coloured powder) and pichkaaris (water guns) on Monday (17 March).
On the occasion of Holi, people greeted each other with sweets, especially the traditional gujiya, in North India.
Apart from sweets, revellers also consume tradition thandai, which is also called as bhang. Thandai is a popular drink made during Holi with buds and leaves of the cannabis plant
Holi, the festival of colours marks the "victory of good over evil."
This year for the first time widows of Vrindavan played Holi with gulal and pichkaaris. Last year, these women came out and celebrated the festival with flowers, but this year they went a step ahead and used colour to mark the festival.
Meanwhile, President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi wished India citizens a happy and safe Holi.
"On the happy occasion of Holi, I extend my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow citizens. As spring arrives, this festival of colours brings with it a joyous celebration of the rejuvenation of nature and ushers in renewed faith in peaceful co-existence. Holi not only brings joy and gaiety in our lives but also provides an opportunity to strengthen the bonds of friendship and brotherhood among people of all faiths. May this festival reinforce the multi-coloured hues of our extraordinary heritage and bring peace and prosperity to our Motherland."
"Holi is the celebration of life and goodness and gives opportunity to strengthen the spirit of brotherhood," Mukherjee said in a statement.
"May the festival bring health, happiness and prosperity to all," Singh said.
Check out the Holi celebration photos here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS