NCAA March Madness 2014: Filling Out the Bracket and Figuring Out the Madness via the Players’ NBA Potential
By James Patrick Quizon | March 17, 2014 5:22 PM EST
There are many ways to skin a cat as there are a million ways to fill up the NCAA bracket. March Madness is here which means chaos not only in college basketball but also in offices and homes around the world—most times, having different ranges of wagers in each bracket filled.
NCAA Basketball: Big Ten Tournament Michigan State v Michigan
You could go to the usual, expected route (picking the favourite teams to advance and the hated teams to be upset in the first round) or the intellectual way (analyzing each match-up in-depth) but you will never ever predict a perfect bracket.
Well, there’s a one in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 chance actually, so never say never in the world of sports. (That’s over 9.2 quintillion possibilities).
Then again, you can just randomly pick the teams. If you win, just thank fate later because the basketball gods decided it was going to be your year.
Or you can take a somewhat subjective and unscientific approach: base the predictions on the NBA-level talent of each school!
The 2014 NBA Draft is projected to be one of the deepest rookie class since LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Darko Milicic, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade took the league by storm with talents like Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Marcus Smart and Joel Embiid among many others.
It’s safe to say if you have NBA-ready talent (or even, a potential to be an NBA star) then you might have what it takes to dance your team all the way to the Promised Land!
With the popular site nbadraft.net (whose rankings are also subjective), we’ve ranked the NCAA teams this year according to the number and rank of the projected NBA draftees.
We’ll include the predicted first-rounders only with 30 points to the No. 1 pick, 29 to the No. 2 pick all the way to 1 point for the 30th pick. Here are the top teams with the highest ranked prospects (aggregate score):
Kansas Jayhawks -73 points
3 NBA prospects - Joel Embiid 2nd pick, Andrew Wiggins 3rd pick and Wayne Selden 17th pick)
Duke Blue Devils – 53 points
2 NBA prospects - Jabari Parker 1st pick, Rodney Hood 8th pick
UCLA Bruins – 38 points
2 NBA prospects - Zach LaVine 11th pick and Kyle Anderson 13th pick
Syracuse Orange – 29 points
2 NBA prospects - Tyler Ennis 12th pick and Jeremy Grant 15th pick
Oklahoma State Cowboys – 27 points
1 NBA prospect – Marcus Smart 4th pick
Michigan State Spartans- 24 points
NBA prospects - Gary Harris 9th pick and Adreian Payne 29th pick
The Midwest is considered the “Region of Death” but the South can brag about its potential NBA-rich talent.
The madness will begin on Tuesday and if the basketball gods are nice this year, they’ll give the fans a starry and high-profile championship: Kansas versus Duke; Embiid and Wiggins taking on Parker in the national title game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft