2014 Comet Jacques: SONEAR Team in Brazil Spots New Comet C/2014 E2, Closest Approach to the Sun to Occur on June 29
By Jenalyn Villamarin | March 17, 2014 3:30 PM EST
The Brazilian astronomers have announced their discovery of a new and very bright comet called C/2014 E2 (Jacques) with the use of the SONEAR (Southern Observatory for Near Earth Asteroids Research) close to Oliveira, Brazil. On Thursday, March 13, Cristovao Jacques, E. Pimentel and J. Barros detected their second comet through the CCD images captured with a a 0.45-meter (17.7-inch) wide-field reflector at the SONEAR observatory.
Astronomers at the Rmanzacco Observatory shared as well a confirmation image on the Comet Jacques. Click HERE to see photo. In the Universe Today report, the preliminary orbit on the new comet point out that its closest approach to the Sun will take place on June 29, 2014 at a distance of 56 million miles.
The report further added that Comet Jacques could have a close flyby from Venus at 8.4 million miles in July. "If a comet approached Earth this closely so soon after perihelion, it would be a magnificent sight. Of course, watching from Venus isn't recommended. Even if we could withstand its extreme heat and pressure cooker atmosphere, the planet's perpetual cloud cover guarantees overcast skies 24/7," the report noted.
The new Comet Jacques has been trailing across the northern Centaurus since getting spotted and in the next couple of nights, the comet will span the border with Hydra. The comet will be visible low in the southern sky around for the northern hemisphere spectators from approximately midnight until 2 am.
Those who live on a Caribbean island and points south will have better chances of viewing the newly discovered comet. The comet's brightness has been estimated to around magnitude +11.5 - 12 or within range of an 8-inch (20-cm) or larger telescope.
The Comet C/2014 E2 (Jacques) will be approaching the Sun as well as the Earth soon and the space object will continue to brighten up as it slowly increases altitude in the night sky. Abruptly after perihelion, the comet will be shining at its brightest at about magnitude +10-10.5 and then nearly maintain that brightness as swings north from Orion into Perseus from mid-July to mid-August.
Comet Jacques' closest approach to planet Earth will take place on August 29 and 30 at 54 million miles (87 million km). Then, it will join the Comet Oukameiden which is calculated to reach binocular visibility in late August 2014.
More Articles to Read:
2014 Comet Sighting: European Southern Observatory Released First Image of the ESA Rosetta Spacecraft Target Comet, 67/P Churyumov-Gerasimenko - [READ]
UFO Sightings: Research Organization's Study in Canada Reveal Number of UFO Sightings Remain High - [READ]
2014 Celestial Events: Bright Star Regulus Occultation to Take Place on March 20 - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares