Box Office - ‘Need for Speed’ Fails to Put the Brakes on ‘Mr. Peabody & Sherman’ and ‘300’ Sequel
By Sachin Trivedi | March 17, 2014 3:25 PM EST
"Mr. Peabody & Sherman" and "300: Rise of an Empire" continue to rule the box office. "Need for Speed" came in third on its opening weekend with a gross box office collection of over $63 million worldwide.
Cast member Aaron Paul (C) poses for "selfies" with some fans at the premiere of the film "Need for Speed" at the TCL Chinese theatre in Hollywood, California March 6, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 14. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
The box office collection of "Need for Speed" stood at over $17 million in the U.S and over $45 million in the overseas market, taking the total collection to over $63 million. "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" collected over $21 million over the weekend and "300: Rise of an Empire" collected over $19 million.
Both the movies "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" and "300: Rise of an Empire" are in their second week and still going strong. "Need for Speed" has not been able to topple the two movies to take the top spot at the box office.
So far "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" has collected over $63 million in the U.S and over $85 million in the overseas market, putting the total box office collection at over $148 million. "300: Rise of an Empire" has collected over $78 million in the U.S and over $158 million in the international market, putting the total collection at over $236 million.
The plot of "Need for Speed" revolves around a street car racer who is just released from prison. He was framed for a crime by his wealthy partner. In his quest to seek revenge he joins a cross country race. His ex-partner places a bounty on his head upon learning of his intentions.
The screenplay of the movie was written by George Gatins, who is known for his work in movies like "She's out of my league" and "You Stupid Man." "Need for Speed" is directed by Scott Waugh who is known for his work in the movies "Act of Valor" and "Spider-Man," 2002.
The cast of the movie includes Aaron Paul as Tobey Marshall, Dominic Cooper as Dino Brewster, Imogen Poots as Julia Maddon, Scot Mescudi as Benny, Rami Malek as Finn, Ramon Rodriguez as Joe Peck, Harrison Gilbertson as Little Pete, Dakota Johnson as Anita, Stevie Ray Dallimore as Bill Ingram and Michael Keaton as Monarch.
Will "Need for Speed" emerge on top by the next weekend at the box office? Can "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" and "300: Rise of an Empire" maintain their momentum? Upcoming new movies include "Divergent" and "Muppets Most Wanted."
More Articles to Read
Prank ATM Robbery Ends With Blood - Video Goes Viral [Read]
7 Year Old Stuns Judges in 'Norway's got Talent' TV Show - Video Goes Viral [Read]
Amazon Prime Rush - One Week Before Prices Hit $99 [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales