Deep Down Earth’s Crust Has a Lot of Water - Scientists
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 17, 2014 1:58 PM EST
A diamond found in Brazil had led scientists to announce that an ocean's worth of water could possibility be located beneath the planet Earth's crust.
The battered diamond that survived a trip from hell has been called ringwoodite. It was found that 1.5 per cent of its weight is made up of water. Ringwoodite only forms under extreme pressure, such as the crushing load about 320 miles deep in the mantle. It was actually the first time the mineral has been found in the Earth's surface.
Participants were shown clips from Planet Earth (BBC)
"This sample really provides extremely strong confirmation that there are local wet spots deep in the Earth in this area," Graham Pearson, Canada Excellence Research chair in Arctic Resources at the University of Alberta, said.
"That particular zone in the Earth, the transition zone, might have as much water as all the world's oceans put together."
Artisan miners unearthed the host diamond from shallow river gravels in the Juina area of Mato Grosso, Brazil in 2008. A volcanic rock known as kimberlite, known as the most deeply derived of all volcanic rocks, had brought the diamond to the Earth's surface.
Pearson said the discovery was accidental. His team had been looking for another mineral when they paid about $20 for a 3 millimeter-wide, dirty-looking brown diamond.
He added ringwoodite itself is invisible to the naked eye, buried beneath the surface.
The discovery suggested there could be a sizable water stored in the mantle transition zone, which stretches from 254 miles to 410 miles deep.
"It translates into a very, very large mass of water, approaching the sort of mass of water that's present in all the world's ocean," Pearson told Live Science's Our Amazing Planet.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People