Deep Down Earth’s Crust Has a Lot of Water - Scientists
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 17, 2014 1:58 PM EST
A diamond found in Brazil had led scientists to announce that an ocean's worth of water could possibility be located beneath the planet Earth's crust.
The battered diamond that survived a trip from hell has been called ringwoodite. It was found that 1.5 per cent of its weight is made up of water. Ringwoodite only forms under extreme pressure, such as the crushing load about 320 miles deep in the mantle. It was actually the first time the mineral has been found in the Earth's surface.
Participants were shown clips from Planet Earth (BBC)
"This sample really provides extremely strong confirmation that there are local wet spots deep in the Earth in this area," Graham Pearson, Canada Excellence Research chair in Arctic Resources at the University of Alberta, said.
"That particular zone in the Earth, the transition zone, might have as much water as all the world's oceans put together."
Artisan miners unearthed the host diamond from shallow river gravels in the Juina area of Mato Grosso, Brazil in 2008. A volcanic rock known as kimberlite, known as the most deeply derived of all volcanic rocks, had brought the diamond to the Earth's surface.
Pearson said the discovery was accidental. His team had been looking for another mineral when they paid about $20 for a 3 millimeter-wide, dirty-looking brown diamond.
He added ringwoodite itself is invisible to the naked eye, buried beneath the surface.
The discovery suggested there could be a sizable water stored in the mantle transition zone, which stretches from 254 miles to 410 miles deep.
"It translates into a very, very large mass of water, approaching the sort of mass of water that's present in all the world's ocean," Pearson told Live Science's Our Amazing Planet.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- Danish Authorities Are Being Complicit In Brutal Slaughtering Of Pilot Whales: Charlie Sheen; An Australian Arrested
- 20-Year-Old Isabelle Roberts Dislocates Jaw After Screaming During Ice Bucket Challenge (Watch Video)
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged