Samsung News: Galaxy S3 Kitkat Update Dated, S5 Zoom Specs Leaked; and Samsung Galaxy Beam Still Coming
By Gel Galang | March 17, 2014 1:18 PM EST
When the Samsung Galaxy S4 was released last year, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom followed shortly, introducing features found in the new handset with other modified features that were unique to the Galaxy S4 Zoom.
It seems that the same trend of providing a number of options apart from the Samsung Galaxy S5 is the Korean company's next goal for the 2014 unveiling of the Samsung Galaxy S5.
CNet reports that new details have emerged on the Samsung Galaxy S5 Zoom, which is also rumoured to debut shortly after the Samsung Galaxy S5 craze mellows down a bit.
The source states that the follow-up to the flagship will introduced a 20-megapixel camera which is an upgrade from the 16-megapixel on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom. There will also be a 2-megapixel front camera as well as a hexa-core processor powering the new device. The hexa-core processor may be Samsung's Exynos 5 Hexa six-core chipset.
These details come from new benchmarks spotted for the device, which seem to bear the model name SM-C115. The Samsung Galaxy S5 Zoom may also release with the Android 4.2 Kitkat, have a 4.8-inch 720p display (noticeably lower than the Samsung Galaxy S5), 2GB of RAM and 8GB of internal memory storage.
Given that the Samsung Galaxy S5 Zoom will also be targeting those who want a better camera phone that switches out to become a smartphone, this latest device does improve on most of the features of its predecessor, while serving as a pretty good other choice for those who may not want to opt for the Samsung Galaxy S5.
One possible change that it can feature for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Zoom would be to tweak the design a bit to give the new model a slimmer look.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to get Kitkat update
Another Samsung handset is being set to receive the Android 4.42 Kitkat Update, and this has been confirmed to be the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. According to Softpedia, this was based on the tweet from Bell Mobility, the wireless network service in Canada. "Galaxy Note 3 should be updated by Monday."
Seeing as how other Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets are already getting the Kitkat update, it seems that the Galaxy Note 3 will not be forgotten. In addition, another Canadian carrier has announced the availability of the Android 4.42 Kitkat update to be heading soon for Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note 3 users.
Galaxy Beam 2014 in the works
Even though Samsung's first smartphone hybrid of a phone and projector, the Samsung Galaxy Beam, was not a complete success compared to its other handsets, that's not stopping the company from creating a successor to the original prototype.
Digital Trends has spotted new information that point to the specifications of the phone, including a 4.66-inch WVGA display, a 1.2GHz quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM, and the Android 4.2.2 running behind the scenes.
Obviously, this is far from the great specs that most smartphones are already touting. But given that the main focus of the phone is to have the capabilities of a projector, it's already a big leap from the specs offered by the prototype.
The link even provides an image of the device as early as now, which you can check out at the link above. Will Samsung's upcoming Beam handset be worth the make? Or is it another handset destined to be received a lukewarm response at most?
Read more gaming and tech news here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown