Computex 2014: Microsoft May Launch Surface Mini, Surface Phone And New Integrated OS
By Judith Aparri | March 17, 2014 12:52 PM EST
Microsoft's lineup for Computex in June might be Surface Mini, Surface Phone and integrated operating system. An article in Highlight Press has posted over the weekend reports about Microsoft plans to release an array of new hardware by June at Computex 2014 in Taipei, Taiwan, which will launch the company's first tablet PCs with 8.5-inch display or below.
The interesting point was the "integrated OS from Windows RT and Windows Phone," suggesting that Surface Mini could be between smartphones and tablet PCs.
Surface 2 with LTE most likely does not fit in June event since the device does not meet the 8.5-inch category, although it is most apt to launch in the Build event in April, together with the most awaited Office "metro" apps.
Devices to show in the Computex are solely based on speculations as there is still more than 2 months to wonder and speculate before the surprises rush in Computex event.
For Microsoft, many pointed out somehow the Redmond software maker made a mistake by putting Windows RT first, which was meant for big things. The company's move to a market with smaller slate is a no-brainer and Microsoft needs to leave the disasters Surface RT and Pro behind. Surface 2 and Pro 2 which both won over the critics are in themselves saviors. A smaller Surface Mini may be timely to ride the momentum.
Surface Mini is set to pack with an Intel Bay Trail CPU and a full 1080p touchscreen of 8.5 inches. This will make it fall in the same lineup of iPad Mini 2, LG Gpad and the still unannounced Google Nexus 8. The Surface Mini tablet was expected to launch originally along with Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2. It did not happen because sources said members of its team were pulled out to help with the Xbox One project.
Sources claimed the Surface Mini can recognize the user's hand movements and face. It will likely be much smoother than "Air Gestures" Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy S4 worked with. The device may run fully with Windows 8.1 Update 1.
Devices under 8.5 inches are also speculated to arrive. This could signify the emergence of the first Surface smartphone, which has been rumored like the Surface Mini since when the company disclosed its movement into the mobile devices market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots