Lamar Odom Grateful but Embarrassed After Bailing Out on 2-Month Basketball Contract in Spain
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 17, 2014 12:46 PM EST
Lamar Odom is grateful, but at the same time feels embarrassed for not being able to finish his two-month basketball contract in Spain. For Lamar, nothing could be disappointing than losing the opportunity to show everyone that he can still play good in his sport.
Basketball player Lamar Odom departs the New York state Supreme Court after a child custody hearing with his ex-girlfriend, Liza Morales, in Manhattan March 5, 2013.
Lamar flew to the U.S. on March 10 because he needed a second opinion for his back injury. At first, it was reported that the former National Basketball Association (NBA) player was still expected to return to Spain on the weekend. However, Lamar ended up terminating his contract with Baskonia altogether.
According to ABC.es, Lamar had to repeal his contract due to lumbar radiculitis. The doctors in New York that the 34-year-old basketball player visited said that he should remain idle for a period of up to two months for him to completely heal. For this reason, Lamar had to withdraw from his basketball contract with Baskonia. Nonetheless, the Spanish basketball club fully understands the situation. They are still open for the possibility of signing Lamar again in the future, in light of developments from his injury and once he has completely recovered from it.
The Spanish news Web site further reported that Lamar is grateful for the club for giving him the opportunity to play for them. He expressed his appreciation for all the support that he had received all throughout the 21 days that he stayed in Vitoria.
Lamar said via the official Web site of Baskonia that he would like to still represent the club. "I want to try and get back out there and give a good show for the people of Vitoria, with integrity and pride," said Lamar.
Despite the very short time that he stayed in Vitoria, he had such a good relationship with everyone there. "There is a home waiting for me now in Vitoria and Baskonia, it's a place that I will always go back," said Lamar. "I am grateful to the fans for the support and understanding, not only to people but to everyone in Baskonia and Vitoria who has shown me much appreciation as a person not just as a basketball player," Lamar added.
Lamar said that he also feels a little bit embarrassed by what happened, but said that the support that he received from everyone meant a lot to him.
Lamar has only played a total of 22 minutes in two games for Baskonia.
Watch a clip of Lamar playing for Baskonia here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time