Lamar Odom Officially Quits Spanish Basketball Team After Back Injury, Will This be the End of His Basketball Career?
By Riza Ornos | March 17, 2014 10:14 AM EST
Catching a break seemed to be hard for Lamar Odom as he officially quit the Spanish basketball team Laboral Kutxa after suffering a back injury. The former reality star of "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" basketball career took a nose dive after joining the Spanish Baskonia team for less than a month.
Basketball player Lamar Odom departs the New York state Supreme Court after a child custody hearing with his ex-girlfriend, Liza Morales, in Manhattan March 5, 2013.
The news about the end of his Spanish basketball career was exclusively confirmed by Us Weekly and Odom will take a leave of absence to seek medical help. The athlete is currently suffering to Lumbar Radiculitis, a painful spinal injury that causes severe lower back pain.
"The tests carried out in New York by Lamar Odom's trusted medical team, with the knowledge of the club, have shown that the player is suffering from lumbar radiculitis, which could keep him out of action for up to two months," revealed by Laboral Kutxa spokesman to Us Weekly. "The player therefore terminates his current contractual relationship with the club. The north American pivot will complete his recovery in the United States."
Since he signed up for the Spanish team, Odom only played a total of 22 minutes in two games. But despite the disappointments, Lamar is keeping his head up and still in the positive side as his injury is beyond his control.
"This is something beyond my control," says Khloe Kardashian's estranged husband. "There's a difference between a part of your body that's hurt and a part of your body that's injured. It's up to me as a responsible athlete to - if I'm injured - to take care of it. I think everything happens for a reason."
The basketball player is also thankful for his team for understanding his situation and for their continuous support. He also thanked the people who continued to support and who believed in him even outside the basketball court.
"Now I have a home away from home all the time. There's a place I will always look forward to come back to and I look forward to getting on the court as soon as possible," he concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools