Lava, Karbonn to Launch Windows Phone 8 OS-Powered Smartphones Soon in India with Prices Starting at ₹6,000
By Rohit KVN | March 16, 2014 10:06 PM EST
Indian smartphone vendors Lava and Karbonn are all set to launch the Windows Phone 8 OS-powered handsets in a few months' time.
Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 sees strong growth in smartphone shipments. (Reuters)
"We will come out with four devices with Windows-based operating system by the end of May or starting of June in the price range of 6,000-12,000," said Karbonn Managing Director Pradeep Jain, reported PTI.
Meanwhile, Lava International Inc., CEO and MD Hari Om Rai has said that the company will release a series of Windows OS-based phones around July with prices between ₹6,500 and ₹8,500. He also revealed that the devices will be powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 series chipsets.
Microsoft has strategically signed these pacts with domestic players to cash in on the fast growing Indian smartphone market, which is currently touted as the third biggest in the world, just below USA and the leader China.
Apart from Indian smartphone makers, Microsoft has joined hands with top Chinese vendors Lenovo, Foxconn, Gionee, Huawei, and ZTE, as well as Tier-1 brands HTC, LG and others (JSR, Longcheer) to produce Windows Phone OS-powered smartphones. [As of now, Windows Phone OS license waver is limited to India only].
By adding more OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers), especially in emerging markets like India and China, Microsoft is currently placed third in the global OS market share chart, stands to record high growth as well as curb the gap between its rivals (Google Android and Apple iOS), as the smartphones reach in developed markets like North America and Europe are close to saturation.
Market watchdog IDC (International Data Corporation) predicts that Microsoft will register a staggering 29-percent CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) over the next four years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles