One Kiss Can Make You Immortal
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 15, 2014 11:55 PM EST
It has been theoretically proved that one kiss can make a person immortal, as demonstrated by the famous U.S. Navy WWII sailor who is remembered not for fighting the war, but for kissing a random nurse; a story that went on to make history.
Glenn McDuffie, who is eternally remembered for his kiss with a nurse in the famous New York Times Square photo taken on 14 August 1945, died on Sunday
Glenn McDuffie, who is eternally remembered for his kiss with a nurse in the famous New York Times Square photo taken on 14 August 1945, died on Sunday; various news sources reported.
The man made headlines for his repeated claims of being the sailor in the photograph who spontaneously kissed a woman in the Times Square, one of the most iconic images of World War II.
Photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt reportedly took the image after the news of Japan's surrender filtered through, an event that led both to the end of WWII and an outburst of emotion in McDuffie's heart, leading him to impulsively kiss a woman walking by.
McDuffie probably didn't realize then that his kiss would be remembered long after it took place.
"I was so happy. I ran out in the street," McDuffie, who was then an 18-year-old, said. He was reportedly on his way to visit his girlfriend.
"And then I saw that nurse.She saw me hollering and with a big smile on my face...I just went right to her and kissed her."
Edith Shain, who worked in a nearby hospital, later claimed to be the nurse in the famed picture. She died in 2010.
McDuffie's claim to be the man in the photo was supported by a police forensic artist's analysis.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports