Xbox One Skype Update Enhances Chat Performance, Adds Filters; Controllers are Compatible with PC
By Aditya Bhat | March 15, 2014 10:53 PM EST
Microsoft's next-generation video game console, Xbox One got an update that has enhanced the chat performance and has added contact filtering options for Skype on the new console.
Xbox One update for Skype has added new features.
Xbox One March Update: Microsoft Rolls Out New Update in Preparation for Titanfall Release; List of Improvements
In a blog post, Skype said that it has brought in numerous features that will improve chat, brings in 'hidden heroes' emoticons, adds contact filtering, introduces a tutorial and fixes bug issues.
The new update enhances the performance of chat by "keeping conversations in sync and reducing the number of missed messages." The newly synchronized chat also gets push notifications that will alert the user in the case of new messages. It will also provide a longer chat history, showing up to 1,000 messages.
Skype for Xbox One will also get the 'hidden heroes' emoticons which are based on the Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Next is the addition of contact filtering, where uses can filter out their contacts who are online. The update also adds a tutorial for new users detailing video calling and chatting. The post also says that many of the bugs reported by users have been fixed.
Skype has not detailed what bugs were fixed. Recently, Twitch live streaming was added to Xbox One apps. Users wanting to use Skype on Xbox One need to have Xbox Live Gold Membership.
Xbox One Controllers are Compatible with PCs
Contrary to earlier beliefs that the Xbox One controller will not be compatible with PC, Alber Penello, director of product management at Microsoft has revealed via NeoGAF forum that the new console's controllers, will indeed be working on PC too.
He took to the forum to clear on rumors that suggested that Microsoft was likely to develop a controller for the PC and its alleged plans of locking out the Xbox One controller compatibility for PC.
"This is 100 percent wrong. When the drivers become available, they will work with the existing controllers. There is no plan to do a new, separate controller that only works on Windows. It will be the same as it is on Xbox 360 - the Xbox One controller you have today will work," said Penello on the forum.
"That's not to say that we may not ship also PC SKU of the Xbox One controller, much like we do on Xbox 360," he added.
The Xbox One controller is likely to work in wire mode and the company has not decided for a wireless controller for PC. He also said that the company was also likely to release a PC version of Xbox One controller.
In 2013, Microsoft had said that it will be making Xbox One controller compatible on PC.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories