Xbox One Skype Update Enhances Chat Performance, Adds Filters; Controllers are Compatible with PC
By Aditya Bhat | March 15, 2014 10:53 PM EST
Microsoft's next-generation video game console, Xbox One got an update that has enhanced the chat performance and has added contact filtering options for Skype on the new console.
Xbox One update for Skype has added new features.
Xbox One March Update: Microsoft Rolls Out New Update in Preparation for Titanfall Release; List of Improvements
In a blog post, Skype said that it has brought in numerous features that will improve chat, brings in 'hidden heroes' emoticons, adds contact filtering, introduces a tutorial and fixes bug issues.
The new update enhances the performance of chat by "keeping conversations in sync and reducing the number of missed messages." The newly synchronized chat also gets push notifications that will alert the user in the case of new messages. It will also provide a longer chat history, showing up to 1,000 messages.
Skype for Xbox One will also get the 'hidden heroes' emoticons which are based on the Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Next is the addition of contact filtering, where uses can filter out their contacts who are online. The update also adds a tutorial for new users detailing video calling and chatting. The post also says that many of the bugs reported by users have been fixed.
Skype has not detailed what bugs were fixed. Recently, Twitch live streaming was added to Xbox One apps. Users wanting to use Skype on Xbox One need to have Xbox Live Gold Membership.
Xbox One Controllers are Compatible with PCs
Contrary to earlier beliefs that the Xbox One controller will not be compatible with PC, Alber Penello, director of product management at Microsoft has revealed via NeoGAF forum that the new console's controllers, will indeed be working on PC too.
He took to the forum to clear on rumors that suggested that Microsoft was likely to develop a controller for the PC and its alleged plans of locking out the Xbox One controller compatibility for PC.
"This is 100 percent wrong. When the drivers become available, they will work with the existing controllers. There is no plan to do a new, separate controller that only works on Windows. It will be the same as it is on Xbox 360 - the Xbox One controller you have today will work," said Penello on the forum.
"That's not to say that we may not ship also PC SKU of the Xbox One controller, much like we do on Xbox 360," he added.
The Xbox One controller is likely to work in wire mode and the company has not decided for a wireless controller for PC. He also said that the company was also likely to release a PC version of Xbox One controller.
In 2013, Microsoft had said that it will be making Xbox One controller compatible on PC.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- Xbox One VS. PS4 At PAX Prime 2014:18 Games On Sale And A Lineup Of Xbox Games Revealed
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko