Python Eats Chihuahua-Maltese Pet Dog in New South Wales
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 15, 2014 10:49 PM EST
Bianca (C), a chihuahua, arrives in a baby carriage with other pet dogs to compete in the second annual Doggie Gras Parade and Fat Cat Tuesday Celebration at the Helen Woodward Animal Center in Rancho Santa Fe, California March 4, 2014. Bianca won the contest and was named queen of the doggie Gras parade. REUTERS/Mike Blake
The pet dog was chained inside a kennel in a backyard. The owner was shocked when she approached the dog house to release her pet from its chain when she instead found a carpet python with a large bulge.
The other sign that poor Chihuahua-Maltese cross was its dinner was the dog chain that dangled from the snake's mouth. She sought assistance from the Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES) which sent volunteers to her home in Caniaba, near Lismore, on Thursday morning.
The volunteers initially cut the chain and monitored if the python would expel the chain, but when it didn't, they brought the snake to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary for a veterinarian to determine if the animal would need surgery. After it recovers, the snake would be released in the wild.
Sue Ulyatt, secretary of WIRES Northern Rivers, said that carpet pythons are very common in rural areas. She said a dog as a meal would provide a snake sustenance for one month.
She said the pet owner was right in chaining her dog at night so it wouldn't disturb wildlife, but because of its situation, the Chihuahua-Maltese couldn't escape when wildlife attacked it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Health Experts Plead Action to Prevent Skin Cancer Epidemic in New Zealand
- A Wild Ride, Orbital Sex Mission: Satellite Carrying Russian Geckos Regains Control After Losing Contact
- Pheromone Parties are only for Hook Ups, Says Expert
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]