Python Eats Chihuahua-Maltese Pet Dog in New South Wales
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 15, 2014 10:49 PM EST
Bianca (C), a chihuahua, arrives in a baby carriage with other pet dogs to compete in the second annual Doggie Gras Parade and Fat Cat Tuesday Celebration at the Helen Woodward Animal Center in Rancho Santa Fe, California March 4, 2014. Bianca won the contest and was named queen of the doggie Gras parade. REUTERS/Mike Blake
The pet dog was chained inside a kennel in a backyard. The owner was shocked when she approached the dog house to release her pet from its chain when she instead found a carpet python with a large bulge.
The other sign that poor Chihuahua-Maltese cross was its dinner was the dog chain that dangled from the snake's mouth. She sought assistance from the Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES) which sent volunteers to her home in Caniaba, near Lismore, on Thursday morning.
The volunteers initially cut the chain and monitored if the python would expel the chain, but when it didn't, they brought the snake to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary for a veterinarian to determine if the animal would need surgery. After it recovers, the snake would be released in the wild.
Sue Ulyatt, secretary of WIRES Northern Rivers, said that carpet pythons are very common in rural areas. She said a dog as a meal would provide a snake sustenance for one month.
She said the pet owner was right in chaining her dog at night so it wouldn't disturb wildlife, but because of its situation, the Chihuahua-Maltese couldn't escape when wildlife attacked it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Rapid Rise in Flu; Hospitals in New Zealand Struggle
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales