Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murdering Clive Lizard Williams, Could be Sentenced to More Than 20 Years Imprisonment
By Sonam Malik | March 15, 2014 8:43 PM EST
Jamaican rapper and dance hall star Vybz Kartel and three of his associates were convicted on Thursday for the murder of Clive "Lizard" Williams, a promoter.
Shawn Campbell (a.k.a. Shawn Storm), Kahira Jones and Andre St. John are the three associates who have been convicted along with Kartel.
Kartel and his associates are to be sentenced on 27 March. The musician could possibly be behind bars for more than 20 years.
Kartel was detained for murder on 13 March, 2011 and since then he has been police custody, reports indicate.
Reportedly, the murder took place at Kartel's home Havendale, a suburban, neighborhood in Kingston, Jamaica, following a fight over two missing guns. Williams was called to Kartel's home to discuss the missing guns, and was beaten to death following an argument.
Although the Williams’ body was never recovered, thereby making it difficult to supply concrete evidence against Kartel, the prosecution was able to win the case as several voice and text messages incriminated Kartel.
This included a text message that the Jamaican police found on Kartel's phone stating that Williams' body had been chopped to "mincemeat," the New York Times reported.
Although it took less than two hours to come to a verdict, the trial, which lasted for 65 days, is believed to be the longest running criminal hearing in the history of Jamaica's circuit court system.
Kartel’s lawyers have decided to appeal the verdict.
In 2013, the singer was acquitted in yet another murder case. He arrested for murder of Jamaican businessman and promoter Barrington "Bossie"' Burton, and also charged with conspiracy to murder and illegal possession of a firearm.
Kartel is a popular Jamaican artist who has worked with various artist such as Jay Z, Rihanna, Missy Elliott, Busta Rhymes, Eminem and Lil Wayne.
Before being slapped with murder charges, Kartel's 2011 album "Kingston Story" and 2013’s "The Voice of the Jamaican Ghetto" were on top of Billboard's U.S. Reggae chart.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories