New South Wales Beat Western Australia to Reach Sheffield Shield Final
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 15, 2014 4:49 PM EST
The match between New South Wales and Western Australia ended with a dramatic win of New South Wales by three wickets to secure the position in Sheffield Shield final.
The match was moving towards draw, when Ashton Agar finally took the key wicket of skipper, Steve Smith (89).
The dismissal put New South Wales in a serious crisis as they were 188 for the loss of 7 wickets, leaving tail-enders to tackle the last leg of the play.
NSW had to add 24 runs to win the match on the fourth day of the game.Earlier in the day, New South Wales started with 110 run to chase with 8 wickets in hand on the fourth day at Manuka Oval ground.
Steve Smith stood firmly to lead the game to victory, until he was dismissed by Agar, just before lunch.
Smith however placed some fantastic sixes in Agar's delivery. Ben Rohrer (15) and Kurtis Patterson (1) went back to pavilion after a silly dismissal, early in the morning.
Marcus North (3 for 61), part-time spinner for Warriors bowled well on the fourth day as he took Sean Abbott (4) followed by Peter Neville (3).
However, with Steve Smith and Stephen O'Keefe (31) on the ground, which looked like a strong partnership to go, till Agar destroyed the rhythm, taking Smith's wicket at a crucial juncture.
But O'Keefe and spinner Nathan Lyon (8) kept their cool to chase the remaining runs, leading NSW to victory.
After the match, Cricket Australia made a statement that Shaun Marsh and Nathan Lyon had been fined 20% of their match fee, following an incident that occurred during the second innings. The incident occurred when Lyon won an lbw call against Marsh from umpire Paul Wilson, who then changed his view and called back Marsh to crease.
On the other game between Victoria and Queensland in MSG, the match ended in a draw, which eventually placed Warriors and Blues in the final.
The final match will be held in Canberra.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues