New South Wales Beat Western Australia to Reach Sheffield Shield Final
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 15, 2014 4:49 PM EST
The match between New South Wales and Western Australia ended with a dramatic win of New South Wales by three wickets to secure the position in Sheffield Shield final.
The match was moving towards draw, when Ashton Agar finally took the key wicket of skipper, Steve Smith (89).
The dismissal put New South Wales in a serious crisis as they were 188 for the loss of 7 wickets, leaving tail-enders to tackle the last leg of the play.
NSW had to add 24 runs to win the match on the fourth day of the game.Earlier in the day, New South Wales started with 110 run to chase with 8 wickets in hand on the fourth day at Manuka Oval ground.
Steve Smith stood firmly to lead the game to victory, until he was dismissed by Agar, just before lunch.
Smith however placed some fantastic sixes in Agar's delivery. Ben Rohrer (15) and Kurtis Patterson (1) went back to pavilion after a silly dismissal, early in the morning.
Marcus North (3 for 61), part-time spinner for Warriors bowled well on the fourth day as he took Sean Abbott (4) followed by Peter Neville (3).
However, with Steve Smith and Stephen O'Keefe (31) on the ground, which looked like a strong partnership to go, till Agar destroyed the rhythm, taking Smith's wicket at a crucial juncture.
But O'Keefe and spinner Nathan Lyon (8) kept their cool to chase the remaining runs, leading NSW to victory.
After the match, Cricket Australia made a statement that Shaun Marsh and Nathan Lyon had been fined 20% of their match fee, following an incident that occurred during the second innings. The incident occurred when Lyon won an lbw call against Marsh from umpire Paul Wilson, who then changed his view and called back Marsh to crease.
On the other game between Victoria and Queensland in MSG, the match ended in a draw, which eventually placed Warriors and Blues in the final.
The final match will be held in Canberra.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar