Lewis Hamilton Blasted by F1 Fans for Saying Michael Schumacher's Skiing Accident Happened 'for a Reason'
By Keerthi Mohan | March 14, 2014 7:44 PM EST
Formula 1 racer Lewis Hamilton has once again attracted the wrath of Michael Schumacher fans, after he commented that the German's skiing accident happened for a reason.
Mercedes Formula One racing driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain
Hamilton made the remark while addressing a press meet ahead of this weekend's Melbourne Grand Prix.
“He's a legend in the sport, you know, who has achieved so much, a very motivated individual,” Hamilton said, according to reports.
“So I feel like all things happen for a reason, I think that this is an experience that will really show his character and depth and even more so than any other experiences he's had.”
Schumacher met with the accident on 29 December, while skiing on the French Alps. Since then, he has been on a medically induced coma at the University of Grenoble hospital in France. Though the details about his medical condition are scarce, on Wednesday his family told the media that Schumacher has been showing small, encouraging signs of recovery.
Meanwhile, Schumacher fans are unhappy with Hamilton’s comments, and many have called him out for being insensitive.
"Everything happens for a reason" according to Lewis Hamilton, talking about... Michael Schumacher ! Wtf ??
— JemRacingJake (@Jem_RacingJake) March 13, 2014
Lewis Hamilton's comments on Schumacher's accident are utterly moronic. — Euan Mason (@KingMasonThe1st) March 13, 2014
I think Lewis Hamilton should keep his a opinion about Michael Schumacher. To himself !! Very strange his comment on Michael and his acciden
— ruby dennise (@ruthdennissee) March 14, 2014
This is the second time Hamilton has been accused of being thoughtless about Schumacher’s medical condition.
In January, Hamilton had posted a photo of him cross-country skiing without a helmet on his social networking site, and followed it up with a video of him performing a jump on a snowmobile.
This had landed him in trouble with Schumacher fans who pointed out that Hamilton’s timing was wrong. Messages labeling Hamilton 'insensitive' flooded his social networking sites Twitter and Instagram.
"Very insensitive given a certain ex race driver’s current condition in hospital," one user wrote.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged