Mystery Deepens in Oscar Pistorius’ Trial
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 14, 2014 7:31 PM EST
The mystery behind Reva Steenkamp's death deepens when the graphic photos of Pistorius' blood stained at home was presented at the trial.
The prosecutors are trying to justify that there had been a tussle between the two before she died. The prosecution showed gruesome images taken by the police after the murder.
The testimony of Col. Gilliam van Rensburg was also cited at the trial indicating the blood trail lying at the entrance hall where Steenkamp body laid, up the staircase leading to the toilet where she was shot. A blood-soaked revolver was lying at the bathroom wrapped in gray towel beside an iPhone.
The prosecution argued that 27-year old olympic and paralympic star was livid following an argument and shot his girlfriend through a locked toilet door. But the defense stood firm that the case was a pure accident. Pistorius shot Steenkamp by mistake, confusing her to be a burglar.
Prosecutor Gary Nel also pointed out the dented silver panel in the bathroom and a hole in Pistorius's bathroom door. It may have occurred earlier that day that Pistorius may have kicked the bathroom door to intimidate Steenkamp.
Nel, during his re-examination of Johannes Vermeulen, a forensic expert questioned, "Let's speculate, you were asked to speculate. Could it be to scare someone? Is that possible?"
Vermulen replied "It's possible...". "If we speculate, it's possible."
Earlier in the case, during Pistorius' bail hearing plea, Nel claimed Oscar opened the fire after a heated argument with his girlfriend and she fled and took shelter in the bathroom.
"She couldn't go anywhere. You can run nowhere....". "It must have been horrific."
Col. van Rensburg, in his opening testimony, started with the photo evidence which showed the athlete's lounge area, furnished with brown and white cow hide rug and a wooden wine rack, where there are drops of blood on a beige sofa.The trail of blood further continues up the staircase, past a yoga mat.
The affidavit of Pistorius said Steenkamp was doing yoga before she went to bed. In the main bedroom entrance, there were colorful sunglasses and a black air rifle propped in the door.
Looking inside the bedroom, a fan was lying at the balcony window and a black virgin active gym bag and Steenkamp's overnight bag rested on a sofa. Pistorius clarified he went to bring the fan inside, when he heard a noise coming from the toilet which he thought to be an intruder inside the house.
Desiree Myers, Steenkamp's friend, was shaken after he saw the last image of the day. She lowered her head with hands clenched together, shaking.
Earlier, Pistorius vomitted when accidentally a picture of Steenkamp's body appeared on the television courtroom.
Currently, it seems the case will go a long way as there are more state witnesses waiting to testify before the defense finally calls his witness, including Pistorius.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia