Big Releases of 2014: Ajith's 'Thala 55', Vijay-Murugadoss's Film, 'Uthama Villain', 'Kochadaiiyaan' and Others
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 14, 2014 6:03 PM EST
The year 2014 looks promising for the Tamil film industry with several biggies gearing up to hit the screens.
This year started on a grand note with two films of big stars clashing at the box office, Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" hit the screens during the Pongal festival period and set the cash registers ringing.
Ajith's "Thala 55", Vijay's "Vijay 57"
Interestingly, the upcoming films of the two actors are expected to clash once again at the box office this year. Post the success of "Jilla," Vijay has shifted his focus to Murugadoss directorial. The film's shooting is progressing at a brisk pace and is set to hit the screens for Diwali.
On the other hand, Ajith is set to commence shooting for his new film with Gautham Menon. The untitled flick is expected to go on floors by the end of March and is expected to release for Diwali or after a few weeks.
Besides these films, there are other big projects that will make it to theatres this year. The biggest of all would be Rajinikanth's "Kochadaiiyaan," directed by his daughter Soundarya.
"Kochadaiiyaan," touted to be India's first performance capture photorealistic film, is gearing up for release on 11 April. But, buzz is that the film's release date might get pushed to May due to the ensuing elections. However, there is no official confirmation of the same.
The historical drama was expected to release in 2013, but the film has been getting delayed due to the post-production work. The Rajini starrer is one of the most-anticipated films of 2014, as fans would get to see their Thalaivar in 3D animated format.
Kamal Haasan's "Vishwaroopam 2" is expected to hit the screens in June. The film, a sequel to "Vishwaroopam," is currently in the post-production stage. Expectations are high of "Vishwaroopam 2," as the first part was a big hit at the box office.
Even as "Vishwaroopam 2" is yet to release, Kamal has shifted his focus to his next project titled "Uthama Villain."
The shooting of this comedy entertainer is progressing at a brisk pace and the film is expected to hit the screens in late 2014.
Vikram's "Ai" has been in the making for more than a year. The magnum opus, directed by Shankar, is likely to get released in May.
Amy Jackson of "Madarasapattinam" fame will be appearing as the female lead in the film.
The shooting of Suriya's "Anjaan" is progressing fastly in Mumbai. The film, directed by Lingusamy and produced by UTV Motion Pictures, is all set to hit the screens on 15 August.
Samantha Ruth Prabhu plays the female lead in the film, whereas Vidyut Jamwal will be appearing in a pivotal role.
With so many biggies lined up for release, 2014 appears to be a great year for Kollywood.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales