Big Releases of 2014: Ajith's 'Thala 55', Vijay-Murugadoss's Film, 'Uthama Villain', 'Kochadaiiyaan' and Others
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 14, 2014 6:03 PM EST
The year 2014 looks promising for the Tamil film industry with several biggies gearing up to hit the screens.
This year started on a grand note with two films of big stars clashing at the box office, Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" hit the screens during the Pongal festival period and set the cash registers ringing.
Ajith's "Thala 55", Vijay's "Vijay 57"
Interestingly, the upcoming films of the two actors are expected to clash once again at the box office this year. Post the success of "Jilla," Vijay has shifted his focus to Murugadoss directorial. The film's shooting is progressing at a brisk pace and is set to hit the screens for Diwali.
On the other hand, Ajith is set to commence shooting for his new film with Gautham Menon. The untitled flick is expected to go on floors by the end of March and is expected to release for Diwali or after a few weeks.
Besides these films, there are other big projects that will make it to theatres this year. The biggest of all would be Rajinikanth's "Kochadaiiyaan," directed by his daughter Soundarya.
"Kochadaiiyaan," touted to be India's first performance capture photorealistic film, is gearing up for release on 11 April. But, buzz is that the film's release date might get pushed to May due to the ensuing elections. However, there is no official confirmation of the same.
The historical drama was expected to release in 2013, but the film has been getting delayed due to the post-production work. The Rajini starrer is one of the most-anticipated films of 2014, as fans would get to see their Thalaivar in 3D animated format.
Kamal Haasan's "Vishwaroopam 2" is expected to hit the screens in June. The film, a sequel to "Vishwaroopam," is currently in the post-production stage. Expectations are high of "Vishwaroopam 2," as the first part was a big hit at the box office.
Even as "Vishwaroopam 2" is yet to release, Kamal has shifted his focus to his next project titled "Uthama Villain."
The shooting of this comedy entertainer is progressing at a brisk pace and the film is expected to hit the screens in late 2014.
Vikram's "Ai" has been in the making for more than a year. The magnum opus, directed by Shankar, is likely to get released in May.
Amy Jackson of "Madarasapattinam" fame will be appearing as the female lead in the film.
The shooting of Suriya's "Anjaan" is progressing fastly in Mumbai. The film, directed by Lingusamy and produced by UTV Motion Pictures, is all set to hit the screens on 15 August.
Samantha Ruth Prabhu plays the female lead in the film, whereas Vidyut Jamwal will be appearing in a pivotal role.
With so many biggies lined up for release, 2014 appears to be a great year for Kollywood.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch