Big Releases of 2014: Ajith's 'Thala 55', Vijay-Murugadoss's Film, 'Uthama Villain', 'Kochadaiiyaan' and Others
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 14, 2014 6:03 PM EST
The year 2014 looks promising for the Tamil film industry with several biggies gearing up to hit the screens.
This year started on a grand note with two films of big stars clashing at the box office, Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" hit the screens during the Pongal festival period and set the cash registers ringing.
Ajith's "Thala 55", Vijay's "Vijay 57"
Interestingly, the upcoming films of the two actors are expected to clash once again at the box office this year. Post the success of "Jilla," Vijay has shifted his focus to Murugadoss directorial. The film's shooting is progressing at a brisk pace and is set to hit the screens for Diwali.
On the other hand, Ajith is set to commence shooting for his new film with Gautham Menon. The untitled flick is expected to go on floors by the end of March and is expected to release for Diwali or after a few weeks.
Besides these films, there are other big projects that will make it to theatres this year. The biggest of all would be Rajinikanth's "Kochadaiiyaan," directed by his daughter Soundarya.
"Kochadaiiyaan," touted to be India's first performance capture photorealistic film, is gearing up for release on 11 April. But, buzz is that the film's release date might get pushed to May due to the ensuing elections. However, there is no official confirmation of the same.
The historical drama was expected to release in 2013, but the film has been getting delayed due to the post-production work. The Rajini starrer is one of the most-anticipated films of 2014, as fans would get to see their Thalaivar in 3D animated format.
Kamal Haasan's "Vishwaroopam 2" is expected to hit the screens in June. The film, a sequel to "Vishwaroopam," is currently in the post-production stage. Expectations are high of "Vishwaroopam 2," as the first part was a big hit at the box office.
Even as "Vishwaroopam 2" is yet to release, Kamal has shifted his focus to his next project titled "Uthama Villain."
The shooting of this comedy entertainer is progressing at a brisk pace and the film is expected to hit the screens in late 2014.
Vikram's "Ai" has been in the making for more than a year. The magnum opus, directed by Shankar, is likely to get released in May.
Amy Jackson of "Madarasapattinam" fame will be appearing as the female lead in the film.
The shooting of Suriya's "Anjaan" is progressing fastly in Mumbai. The film, directed by Lingusamy and produced by UTV Motion Pictures, is all set to hit the screens on 15 August.
Samantha Ruth Prabhu plays the female lead in the film, whereas Vidyut Jamwal will be appearing in a pivotal role.
With so many biggies lined up for release, 2014 appears to be a great year for Kollywood.
(Edited by Anu James)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- AC/DC Angus Young and Brian Johnson on Troubled Drummer Phil Rudd’s Future With Them, Continuing Music Without Malcolm Young [VIDEO]
- After Estee Lauder, Kendal Jenner Now Bags Karl Lagerfeld Campaign In Less Than A Week
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced