Canadian Tech Firm DataWind Attempts to Produce $20 Tablet
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 14, 2014 5:58 PM EST
At $37.99, the Ubislate 7Ci tablet made by Canadian tech firm Datawind is one of the lowest-priced tablets in the market. The company would even break its own record by offering a $20 tablet.
Tesco Hudl, Argos MyTablet and Amazon Kindle Fire are three budget tablets, all running the Android OS.
Click here for the review of the 7Ci.
Suneet Singh Tuli, Datawind CEO, said, "The idea is to bridge the digital divide, it's really that simple, the idea is to overcome the affordability barrier."
The rationale behind such philosophy is their belief that Internet access is a fundamental human right.
Datawind is the same company behind the Aakash laptops it produced mainly for Indian students, which won the tech firm recognition from the MIT Technology Review magazine as one of the world's 50 smartest companies.
The firm, while working on the next version of Aakash, is targeting the North American and UK markets to sell its UbiSlate branded tablets.
The 7Ci has a seven-inch scree with a screen resolution of 800x480 pixels, 4G of storage and runs on Google's Android OS. To go online, it uses WiFi.
Datawind also has pricier models such as the UbiSlate 7C+, priced at $42 which gives access to the EDGE mobile networks, and the UbiSlate 3G7 at $129.99 which offers better screen and processors and access to HSDP 3G mobile networks.
The $20-tablet will come out within 2015 or 2016, Mr Tuli said.
Although there had been criticisms of the lower specs of their devices, Mr Tuli explained, "What we tried to focus on was realizing that for our customer, price is the most important feature and starting with that element we said, 'What can we bundle in to provide a performance experience that would be good enough for them.'"
He added, "You want something for your kids to take to school ... Kids are going to lose them or break them and you want something that you're not worried (about)."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast