'Star Wars: Episode VII': Check Out the Actors Competing for the Lead Role
By charmaine corne clutton | March 14, 2014 5:40 PM EST
The biggest sci-fi movie series is set to hit the movie screen on Dec. 18, 2015. Fans are excited to see the cast be unraveled by Director J.J. Abrams.
Familiar faces will be featured in the film with big names such as Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie Fisher (Leia Solo) and many more. The producers of the "Star Wars: Episode VII" have already revealed the villain in the movie.
Adam Driver will play the evil guy in the upcoming seventh installment of the famous sci-fi series. Next in line of Disney's and Lucasfilm's to-do list is to look for the right Jedi to battle Driver and the evil empire.
After receiving various audition intents from actors, a source reveals that "Downtown Abbey" Ed Speelers, "Attack the Block" stars John Boyega, Jesse Plemons, Matthew James Thomas and Ray Fisher are the apples of J.J. Abrams' eyes for the role of Luke Skywalker.
As weeks have passed, out of the myriad of actors that have expressed interest for the famous role, these were the top five actors who have emerged as the favorite picks of the director.
Disney had no comment about the news on the role. Exact details about the lead role have remained ambiguous, although rumors spreading indicate the role will be a Jedi apprentice. Michael Arndt's original draft of the episode has focused on Han Solo and Princess Leia's children. Recent developments of Abrams and his team have relegated the roles of the offspring to a supporting one.
Reasons for the casting delay have something to do with the executives and creatives. According to Yahoo, the executives want someone form "a different ethinicity from the previous Caucasian leads." Abrams also supports the desire to have a more diversified cast that is why actors Michael Jordan and David Oyewolo, were tested for the role.
Since Abrams is currently eyeing lesser known actors to star in the lead role, the director is going to balance out the cast with more popular actors for supporting parts, including original "Star Wars" members such as Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- Paul Walker's Daughter Paid Heart Touching Tribute To Her Father On His Birthday
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown