'Star Wars: Episode VII': Check Out the Actors Competing for the Lead Role
By charmaine corne clutton | March 14, 2014 5:40 PM EST
The biggest sci-fi movie series is set to hit the movie screen on Dec. 18, 2015. Fans are excited to see the cast be unraveled by Director J.J. Abrams.
Familiar faces will be featured in the film with big names such as Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie Fisher (Leia Solo) and many more. The producers of the "Star Wars: Episode VII" have already revealed the villain in the movie.
Adam Driver will play the evil guy in the upcoming seventh installment of the famous sci-fi series. Next in line of Disney's and Lucasfilm's to-do list is to look for the right Jedi to battle Driver and the evil empire.
After receiving various audition intents from actors, a source reveals that "Downtown Abbey" Ed Speelers, "Attack the Block" stars John Boyega, Jesse Plemons, Matthew James Thomas and Ray Fisher are the apples of J.J. Abrams' eyes for the role of Luke Skywalker.
As weeks have passed, out of the myriad of actors that have expressed interest for the famous role, these were the top five actors who have emerged as the favorite picks of the director.
Disney had no comment about the news on the role. Exact details about the lead role have remained ambiguous, although rumors spreading indicate the role will be a Jedi apprentice. Michael Arndt's original draft of the episode has focused on Han Solo and Princess Leia's children. Recent developments of Abrams and his team have relegated the roles of the offspring to a supporting one.
Reasons for the casting delay have something to do with the executives and creatives. According to Yahoo, the executives want someone form "a different ethinicity from the previous Caucasian leads." Abrams also supports the desire to have a more diversified cast that is why actors Michael Jordan and David Oyewolo, were tested for the role.
Since Abrams is currently eyeing lesser known actors to star in the lead role, the director is going to balance out the cast with more popular actors for supporting parts, including original "Star Wars" members such as Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Scandal Season 4 Update: Premiere Episode Title Revealed, A Different New Season
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand