'Star Wars: Episode VII': Check Out the Actors Competing for the Lead Role
By charmaine corne clutton | March 14, 2014 5:40 PM EST
The biggest sci-fi movie series is set to hit the movie screen on Dec. 18, 2015. Fans are excited to see the cast be unraveled by Director J.J. Abrams.
Familiar faces will be featured in the film with big names such as Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie Fisher (Leia Solo) and many more. The producers of the "Star Wars: Episode VII" have already revealed the villain in the movie.
Adam Driver will play the evil guy in the upcoming seventh installment of the famous sci-fi series. Next in line of Disney's and Lucasfilm's to-do list is to look for the right Jedi to battle Driver and the evil empire.
After receiving various audition intents from actors, a source reveals that "Downtown Abbey" Ed Speelers, "Attack the Block" stars John Boyega, Jesse Plemons, Matthew James Thomas and Ray Fisher are the apples of J.J. Abrams' eyes for the role of Luke Skywalker.
As weeks have passed, out of the myriad of actors that have expressed interest for the famous role, these were the top five actors who have emerged as the favorite picks of the director.
Disney had no comment about the news on the role. Exact details about the lead role have remained ambiguous, although rumors spreading indicate the role will be a Jedi apprentice. Michael Arndt's original draft of the episode has focused on Han Solo and Princess Leia's children. Recent developments of Abrams and his team have relegated the roles of the offspring to a supporting one.
Reasons for the casting delay have something to do with the executives and creatives. According to Yahoo, the executives want someone form "a different ethinicity from the previous Caucasian leads." Abrams also supports the desire to have a more diversified cast that is why actors Michael Jordan and David Oyewolo, were tested for the role.
Since Abrams is currently eyeing lesser known actors to star in the lead role, the director is going to balance out the cast with more popular actors for supporting parts, including original "Star Wars" members such as Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate