'Star Wars: Episode VII': Check Out the Actors Competing for the Lead Role
By charmaine corne clutton | March 14, 2014 5:40 PM EST
The biggest sci-fi movie series is set to hit the movie screen on Dec. 18, 2015. Fans are excited to see the cast be unraveled by Director J.J. Abrams.
Familiar faces will be featured in the film with big names such as Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie Fisher (Leia Solo) and many more. The producers of the "Star Wars: Episode VII" have already revealed the villain in the movie.
Adam Driver will play the evil guy in the upcoming seventh installment of the famous sci-fi series. Next in line of Disney's and Lucasfilm's to-do list is to look for the right Jedi to battle Driver and the evil empire.
After receiving various audition intents from actors, a source reveals that "Downtown Abbey" Ed Speelers, "Attack the Block" stars John Boyega, Jesse Plemons, Matthew James Thomas and Ray Fisher are the apples of J.J. Abrams' eyes for the role of Luke Skywalker.
As weeks have passed, out of the myriad of actors that have expressed interest for the famous role, these were the top five actors who have emerged as the favorite picks of the director.
Disney had no comment about the news on the role. Exact details about the lead role have remained ambiguous, although rumors spreading indicate the role will be a Jedi apprentice. Michael Arndt's original draft of the episode has focused on Han Solo and Princess Leia's children. Recent developments of Abrams and his team have relegated the roles of the offspring to a supporting one.
Reasons for the casting delay have something to do with the executives and creatives. According to Yahoo, the executives want someone form "a different ethinicity from the previous Caucasian leads." Abrams also supports the desire to have a more diversified cast that is why actors Michael Jordan and David Oyewolo, were tested for the role.
Since Abrams is currently eyeing lesser known actors to star in the lead role, the director is going to balance out the cast with more popular actors for supporting parts, including original "Star Wars" members such as Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0