'Star Wars: Episode VII': Check Out the Actors Competing for the Lead Role
By charmaine corne clutton | March 14, 2014 5:40 PM EST
The biggest sci-fi movie series is set to hit the movie screen on Dec. 18, 2015. Fans are excited to see the cast be unraveled by Director J.J. Abrams.
Familiar faces will be featured in the film with big names such as Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie Fisher (Leia Solo) and many more. The producers of the "Star Wars: Episode VII" have already revealed the villain in the movie.
Adam Driver will play the evil guy in the upcoming seventh installment of the famous sci-fi series. Next in line of Disney's and Lucasfilm's to-do list is to look for the right Jedi to battle Driver and the evil empire.
After receiving various audition intents from actors, a source reveals that "Downtown Abbey" Ed Speelers, "Attack the Block" stars John Boyega, Jesse Plemons, Matthew James Thomas and Ray Fisher are the apples of J.J. Abrams' eyes for the role of Luke Skywalker.
As weeks have passed, out of the myriad of actors that have expressed interest for the famous role, these were the top five actors who have emerged as the favorite picks of the director.
Disney had no comment about the news on the role. Exact details about the lead role have remained ambiguous, although rumors spreading indicate the role will be a Jedi apprentice. Michael Arndt's original draft of the episode has focused on Han Solo and Princess Leia's children. Recent developments of Abrams and his team have relegated the roles of the offspring to a supporting one.
Reasons for the casting delay have something to do with the executives and creatives. According to Yahoo, the executives want someone form "a different ethinicity from the previous Caucasian leads." Abrams also supports the desire to have a more diversified cast that is why actors Michael Jordan and David Oyewolo, were tested for the role.
Since Abrams is currently eyeing lesser known actors to star in the lead role, the director is going to balance out the cast with more popular actors for supporting parts, including original "Star Wars" members such as Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation