Notice Against Dank Received by AFL Boss
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 14, 2014 4:55 PM EST
The chief executive of the Australian Football League, Andrew Demetriou, welcomed ASADA's action against Stephen Dank, stating it to be as overdue.
Controversial sports scientist Dank was sent a show-cause letter, alleging 34-anti doping breaches during his tenure at Essendon. The notice is now getting reviewed by Dank's legal authority.
At a fundraising held last week, Demetriou showed his concern about Dank's scheduled appearance and called it as tacky.
The news of the notice arrived just a day before the start of AFL season's Friday night clash with Collingwood-Fremantle at Etihad Stadium.
In a recent interview with FairFax radio, Demetriou said, "Long overdue - disappointing that it's happening on the eve of the season...."
"I would have preferred that it was sent earlier, but it is what it is and it's not a surprise."
The notice was sent after retired judge Garry Downes was appointed by the Federal Government in order to help ASADA with this complex case. Downes is given deadline till April to solve the case.
However, it is still unclear whether Dank will receive a separate notice from ASADA.
Demetriou said, "We welcome the appointment of the federal court judge."
"It just appears that they are working towards that (April) and I think it is good for everybody."
"It was a very complex issue and it continues to be a complex issue - unlike anything that's been experienced in this country before and I don't even know on a global scale when you're talking about a team."
Demetriou also showed his sympathy towards the Essendon players stating, "You'd have to think that young men would find it hard."
"I don't know anyone ... who wouldn't be thinking about the ramifications and what this all means, this causing angst."
"It would be impossible to almost make yourself immune to what's going on around you - of course it would have some effect."
Demetriou also cleared his thought about Dank. He said "It's tacky - given that he's been asked on countless occasions to appear and to front inquiries, for him to appear at a sportsman's lunch speaks more about him than it does anything else."
"I don't know what they're trying to achieve by having him there, but I wouldn't take it too seriously."
"There will be interest, but I'm not quite sure what he'll be talking about."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter