Notice Against Dank Received by AFL Boss
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 14, 2014 4:55 PM EST
The chief executive of the Australian Football League, Andrew Demetriou, welcomed ASADA's action against Stephen Dank, stating it to be as overdue.
Controversial sports scientist Dank was sent a show-cause letter, alleging 34-anti doping breaches during his tenure at Essendon. The notice is now getting reviewed by Dank's legal authority.
At a fundraising held last week, Demetriou showed his concern about Dank's scheduled appearance and called it as tacky.
The news of the notice arrived just a day before the start of AFL season's Friday night clash with Collingwood-Fremantle at Etihad Stadium.
In a recent interview with FairFax radio, Demetriou said, "Long overdue - disappointing that it's happening on the eve of the season...."
"I would have preferred that it was sent earlier, but it is what it is and it's not a surprise."
The notice was sent after retired judge Garry Downes was appointed by the Federal Government in order to help ASADA with this complex case. Downes is given deadline till April to solve the case.
However, it is still unclear whether Dank will receive a separate notice from ASADA.
Demetriou said, "We welcome the appointment of the federal court judge."
"It just appears that they are working towards that (April) and I think it is good for everybody."
"It was a very complex issue and it continues to be a complex issue - unlike anything that's been experienced in this country before and I don't even know on a global scale when you're talking about a team."
Demetriou also showed his sympathy towards the Essendon players stating, "You'd have to think that young men would find it hard."
"I don't know anyone ... who wouldn't be thinking about the ramifications and what this all means, this causing angst."
"It would be impossible to almost make yourself immune to what's going on around you - of course it would have some effect."
Demetriou also cleared his thought about Dank. He said "It's tacky - given that he's been asked on countless occasions to appear and to front inquiries, for him to appear at a sportsman's lunch speaks more about him than it does anything else."
"I don't know what they're trying to achieve by having him there, but I wouldn't take it too seriously."
"There will be interest, but I'm not quite sure what he'll be talking about."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]