New iOS 7.1 Major Update Promptly Pushes Apple Users to 12% Adoption Rate
By Christine Gaylican | March 14, 2014 4:34 PM EST
A few days ago, just several days after a minor 7.0.6 iOS update, Apple released a major update for their latest mobile platform - iOS 7.1. The update quickly spread throughout the users of Apple mobile devices in North America, with 12 percent adoption rate in two days, according to a study by Chitika.
iOS 7.1 update prompt as seen from an iPhone (phone screenshot taken 3-14-2014)
Made available to the general public Monday, iOS 7.1 brought in a lot of improvements, bug fixes, security patches, and a slew of new features and upgrades to stock applications. As far as the latest iPhones are concerned, this new iOS version activates CarPlay support, and major upgrades to Siri and Touch ID fingerprint security. Overall, it also includes accessibility upgrades the Calendar, Camera, and iTunes Radio stock applications.
For legacy devices like the several-years-old iPhone 4, this new iOS version also brings in major improvements on performance and usability, as reported by ArsTechnica. According to the tests they made, overall snapiness for the iPhone 4 moved up several notches compared to iOS7.0, the previous major version.
As such, many Apple device users have apparently been eager to try out the new iOS 7.1, with adoption rates going to 12 percent in just 45 hours, in North America alone, according to an analysis made by Chitika, an internet advertising network. In a blog post in the Chitika website, they commented, "As with most minor version updates, iOS 7.1 adoption rates have been less dramatic than those of its major-version counterparts."
This is apparently "largely on par" with the adoption rate of the recently released minor iOS 7.0.6 update. However, the fact still remains that the last major stable iOS 7.0 is currently on more than 80 percent of Apple devices. Chitika further commented that Apple users are probably looking forward to iOS 8 more, "This likely represents a peak, as it has remained largely unchanged since our previous study (81 percent on February 25)."
"With this in mind, all eyes will be on iOS 8 and whether it can continue Apple's streak of higher rates of adoption for each successive major release," Chitika remarked.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones
- BlackBerry Offers $600 To Lure iPhone Owners To Switch To Passport Phone
- Beware: Black Friday Bargain Hunters, Clothes With Deep Discounts Are About To Go Out Of Fashion
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast