SXSW Suspect Kiling 2 And Injured 23 Identified, Victims Include Dutch Man
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 14, 2014 3:56 PM EST
The suspect, who reportedly injured 23 people and killed 2 others during Southwest festival in the early morning of March 13, has been identified.
The Wall Street Journal identified the suspect as Rashad Charjuan Owens [Image], 21, "black male," who allegedly drove into a crowd attending the SXSW festival. Owens was also accused of evading one patrol officer who had earlier tried pulling him over due to the suspicion of drunken driving. He drove the wrong way down and almost killed an officer who was manning a barricade.
According to Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo, he then moved to a block which was filled with people.
A bicyclist was his first victim. The Dutch man and a Texas woman riding a moped were killed by Owens who crashed into one van. Even though he tried to run away on foot, an officer got hold of him with a taser gun. Acevedo said the suspect had been arrested afterwards.
The Dutch man killed in the accident has been identified as Steven Craenmehr, 35, an employee of MassiveMusic. He worked for the music agency which had its offices in multiple cities, including Amsterdam.
According to its official Web site, Craenmehr worked for the company for 8 years. He was remembered as an "unstoppable force" that was "full of life, love and laughter." His death has been called as an "irreplaceable loss" for the company.
Owens was no stranger to the crime as he has previous criminal records. He was charged by Alaska's Fairbanks District Attorney's Office in 2011 for drunken driving.
This time, he was supposed to face multiple counts, which include aggravated assault and capital murder. Travis County authorities informed he was yet to make a court appearance even though he had been under custody.
Most of the victims who have been hospitalised were reported to be in their 20s.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Scam: Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos Solidarity Campaign Deceives Women Into Snapping Naked Selfies
- Islamic State: Mother of 2nd Beheading Victim Steven Sotloff Appealed To IS Last Week, Jihadist John Is Still The Knife Wielder
- Peru's Biggest Haul Yields 8.5 Tonnes Of Cocaine
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display