Fans Donate $5.7M to Kickstarter For ‘Veronica Mars’ Movie
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 14, 2014 3:49 PM EST
Fans of the television series, "Veronica Mars," unite to bring their favorite show into the big screen.
Rob Thomas, creator of the tv show, confirmed the tv series will have a movie comeback made especially for the 91,000 fans who donated $5.7 million to Kickstarter to make it possible.
Kristen Bell in Reem Acra. Photo courtesy of Reuters.
Back in 2004, there was a television series entitled, "Veronica Mars," which starred Kristen Bell for the lead role. To those who may have forgotten or did not know the series, it was a story of a high school student who became a private investigator to unlock the mystery of her best friend's killing.
The plot was interesting with the tough Veronica becoming an outcast after her best friend Lily's (played by Amanda Seyfried) death. Her father, the town's sheriff, got axed from work after a false accusation, and started a private investigation agency where Veronica worked for part-time.
The plot may be compared to a Nancy Drew or something like the True Detective, but the film was made because of the fans' call. This was something that the cast and the production crew cannot ignore.
"My belief was that the fans are funding the movie, I really wrote that first draft of that script trying to make the fans of the movie happy," Thomas shared in an interview with Take Two.
The Kickstarter campaign started in 2013 with Bell's and Thomas' interest to remake the series into a movie. Reportedly, if the movie will get $2 million in funds, they will start filming to give the fans further update of the next chapter of Veronica's life. The television series' ending in 2007 left many of the fans hanging, thus the request for a film surfaced.
"I've wanted to make a movie since the day our production shut down, our cast stayed very close, so we knew everyone was in," Bell said in an ABC Report.
Raising more than $5 million in donation proved how fans wanted a film remake of "Veronica Mars" series.
The film's release date is set March 14 for the U.S. audience.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS