Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Lining-Up £27million Bid for Madrid Forward
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 14, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Premier League frontrunners Chelsea are believed to have placed Atletico Madrid forward Diego Costa on top of their priority list this coming summer.
Chelsea reported to go after Atletico Madrid forward Diego Costa this coming summer
An apparent lack of scoring production from the frontline is making Blues manager, Jose Mourinho, desperate to land a striker with effective predatory instincts in front of goal.
"Blues boss Jose Mourinho has told the club's hierarchy that signing a world class striker should be the priority during the summer transfer window," reports Jamie Sanderson of the Metro.
Manchester United's Wayne Rooney and Monaco's Radamel Falcao are amongst the numerous names that have been linked with the west London outfit in the recent past, but the England international has just signed a contract tying him with the Red Devils until 2019, while a cruciate ligament tear for the Colombian makes him highly susceptible to the possibility of recurrence.
The Brazil-born Costa, therefore, is the more logical choice because of his spectacular form for the Los Rojiblancos this season.
He has a tally of 21 and 7 goals in the La Liga and the Champions League, respectively, but can also operate as a creator as evidenced by his 5 assists in all competitions.
Moreover, the relationship that the Stamford Bridge hierarchy have built with their counterparts at the Vicente Calderon in the past few years, particularly, the loaning out of goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, will also play a significant factor in making the speculated deal materialise.
All that remains is for Chelsea to meet Costa's release clause, which is suggested to be around £32million, since it will be highly unlikely that Atleti will listen to their rumoured £27million bid.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal