Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Lining-Up £27million Bid for Madrid Forward
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 14, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Premier League frontrunners Chelsea are believed to have placed Atletico Madrid forward Diego Costa on top of their priority list this coming summer.
Chelsea reported to go after Atletico Madrid forward Diego Costa this coming summer
An apparent lack of scoring production from the frontline is making Blues manager, Jose Mourinho, desperate to land a striker with effective predatory instincts in front of goal.
"Blues boss Jose Mourinho has told the club's hierarchy that signing a world class striker should be the priority during the summer transfer window," reports Jamie Sanderson of the Metro.
Manchester United's Wayne Rooney and Monaco's Radamel Falcao are amongst the numerous names that have been linked with the west London outfit in the recent past, but the England international has just signed a contract tying him with the Red Devils until 2019, while a cruciate ligament tear for the Colombian makes him highly susceptible to the possibility of recurrence.
The Brazil-born Costa, therefore, is the more logical choice because of his spectacular form for the Los Rojiblancos this season.
He has a tally of 21 and 7 goals in the La Liga and the Champions League, respectively, but can also operate as a creator as evidenced by his 5 assists in all competitions.
Moreover, the relationship that the Stamford Bridge hierarchy have built with their counterparts at the Vicente Calderon in the past few years, particularly, the loaning out of goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, will also play a significant factor in making the speculated deal materialise.
All that remains is for Chelsea to meet Costa's release clause, which is suggested to be around £32million, since it will be highly unlikely that Atleti will listen to their rumoured £27million bid.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS