Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Lining-Up £27million Bid for Madrid Forward
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 14, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Premier League frontrunners Chelsea are believed to have placed Atletico Madrid forward Diego Costa on top of their priority list this coming summer.
Chelsea reported to go after Atletico Madrid forward Diego Costa this coming summer
An apparent lack of scoring production from the frontline is making Blues manager, Jose Mourinho, desperate to land a striker with effective predatory instincts in front of goal.
"Blues boss Jose Mourinho has told the club's hierarchy that signing a world class striker should be the priority during the summer transfer window," reports Jamie Sanderson of the Metro.
Manchester United's Wayne Rooney and Monaco's Radamel Falcao are amongst the numerous names that have been linked with the west London outfit in the recent past, but the England international has just signed a contract tying him with the Red Devils until 2019, while a cruciate ligament tear for the Colombian makes him highly susceptible to the possibility of recurrence.
The Brazil-born Costa, therefore, is the more logical choice because of his spectacular form for the Los Rojiblancos this season.
He has a tally of 21 and 7 goals in the La Liga and the Champions League, respectively, but can also operate as a creator as evidenced by his 5 assists in all competitions.
Moreover, the relationship that the Stamford Bridge hierarchy have built with their counterparts at the Vicente Calderon in the past few years, particularly, the loaning out of goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, will also play a significant factor in making the speculated deal materialise.
All that remains is for Chelsea to meet Costa's release clause, which is suggested to be around £32million, since it will be highly unlikely that Atleti will listen to their rumoured £27million bid.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight