Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Lining-Up £27million Bid for Madrid Forward
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 14, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Premier League frontrunners Chelsea are believed to have placed Atletico Madrid forward Diego Costa on top of their priority list this coming summer.
Chelsea reported to go after Atletico Madrid forward Diego Costa this coming summer
An apparent lack of scoring production from the frontline is making Blues manager, Jose Mourinho, desperate to land a striker with effective predatory instincts in front of goal.
"Blues boss Jose Mourinho has told the club's hierarchy that signing a world class striker should be the priority during the summer transfer window," reports Jamie Sanderson of the Metro.
Manchester United's Wayne Rooney and Monaco's Radamel Falcao are amongst the numerous names that have been linked with the west London outfit in the recent past, but the England international has just signed a contract tying him with the Red Devils until 2019, while a cruciate ligament tear for the Colombian makes him highly susceptible to the possibility of recurrence.
The Brazil-born Costa, therefore, is the more logical choice because of his spectacular form for the Los Rojiblancos this season.
He has a tally of 21 and 7 goals in the La Liga and the Champions League, respectively, but can also operate as a creator as evidenced by his 5 assists in all competitions.
Moreover, the relationship that the Stamford Bridge hierarchy have built with their counterparts at the Vicente Calderon in the past few years, particularly, the loaning out of goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, will also play a significant factor in making the speculated deal materialise.
All that remains is for Chelsea to meet Costa's release clause, which is suggested to be around £32million, since it will be highly unlikely that Atleti will listen to their rumoured £27million bid.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop